After hearing Deep River sing one of their own compositions, 'Remember Always', live on the Bell Buckle (Tennessee) Jamboree Radio Show, local resident Charlie Louvin of Louvin Brothers fame told the country vocal group, "I'd like to hear y'all play that song on the Opry." Although they haven't yet had that opportunity, Deep River has sung with Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill, as well as opened for country star Mark Wills and the 'Mother of Bluegrass', Wilma Lee Cooper.
Founding members Sandy Howard and Sharon Lewis have been performing together since April 1993 in Nashville, Tennessee, and the current line-up made it's Asheville, North Carolina debut in August, 2007.
While in Nashville, Sandy and Sharon recorded three CDs, wrote or co-wrote eight songs, two of which, 'Civil War' and 'Silver Eagle', received 'honorable mention' from Music Row magazine's Robert K. Oermann, and one of those, 'Silver Eagle', received a little radio airplay on small market country stations around the US.
The name 'Deep River' conjures up thoughts about the natural circle of life, and that's exactly how one might describe their music---stories of love and loss told in the context of family-style harmonies and danceable rhythms.
Musical influences include Patty Loveless, Kathy Mattea, Pam Tillis, Trio aka Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton, Rhonda Vincent and The Rage, The Cox Family, The Eagles, The Beatles and Highway 101.
# Gerry Brown, dobro, guitar
# Justin Watt, drums
# Sandy Howard, lead and harmony vocals, acoustic rhythm guitar
# Sharon Lewis, lead and harmony vocals, bass guitar
# David Tarpley, lead and rhythm guitar
CD: Women Peacing Worlds Together (compilation) 1995
CD: Ready Or Not 1996
CD: Civil War 1998
Old Lovers, Best Friends
Dog On A Chain
A River Dark And Deep
If Home Is Where The Heart Is
Ready Or Not
A Little MisBehavin'
Forgive And Forget For Good
My Heart Beats Like Thunder
Get Your Own Money
Don't Make Me Choose
Remember Always---full length
Best of WNC 2008
[+ Show ]
Arts & Entertainment Intro by Alli Marshall in Vol. 15 / Iss. 12 on 10/15/2008 This year's winne...Arts & Entertainment
Intro by Alli Marshall in Vol. 15 / Iss. 12 on 10/15/2008
This year's winners in the arts-and-entertainment categories included a number of Hall of Fame entries.
Still, even as readers stick to what they know and love, they also know a good new thing when it comes along. This summer's Alison Krauss and Robert Plant show leaped to the winning slot for Live Show of 2008: Music. Among artists to watch, voters named musical acts Deep River, Bugs Multiply, Sonmi Suite and high-school-age band Skinny Legs & All.
Local Band: Country/Alt-Country
* 1. Trainwreks www.myspace.com
* 2. Deep River www.myspace.com
* 3. Pierce Edens & the Dirty Work www.pierceedens.com
Current Set List:
1. A Handful Of Dust (cover)
2. Forgive And Forget For Good (original)
3. Cry Baby Cry (cover)
4. Walkin, Talkin, Cryin, Barely Beatin Broken Heart (cover)
5. Remember Always (original)
6. Those Memories (cover)
7. Everybody's Reaching Out For Someone (cover)
8. My Heart Beats Like Thunder (original)
9. He Comes Around (cover)
10. A Little MisBehavin' (original)
11. If You Don't Love Your Neighbor (cover)
12. Peaceful East Feeling (cover)
13. Old Lovers, Best Friends (original)
14. Halfway Down (cover)
15. Don't Lie (cover)
16. Nothing But The Wheel (cover)
17. Civil War (original)
18. Homeward Looking Angel (cover)
19. Seeds (cover)
20. Feeling Kind Of Lonely Tonight (cover)
21. Ready Or Not (original)
22. Big Dreams In A Small Town (cover)
23. Rocket 455 (cover)
24. A River Dark And Deep (original)
25. Wild Angels (cover)
26. (Do You Love Me) Just Say Yes (cover)
27. Don't Make Me Choose (original)
28. Shake The Sugar Tree (cover)
29. Independence Day (cover)
30. In My Life (cover)
31. If Home Is Where The Heart Is (original)
32. Teach Your Children (cover)
33. Timber I'm Falling In Love (cover)
34. There Goes My Heart Again (cover)
35. Get Your Own Money (original)
36. Every Little Kiss (cover)
There are no upcoming dates at this time.