LA 33 is an urban salsa band based in Bogota, Colombia.
LA 33, was founded in 2002 in Bogotá by the two brothers Sergio and Santiago Mejia. The album debut titled “LA 33”, released in 2004 as an independent production, won immediate success for its arrangements, lyrics, clean recording and great sound.
LA 33 is hard-swinging salsa & Latin Jazz from Bogota for an irresistible and infectious urban salsa concert! they do La Pantera Mambo by none other than Henry Mancini. This is clearly a band that generates excitement and does it with a sense of humor. There is no stuffiness here, and the music is totally refreshing. (Highly recommended by descarga.com).
The new album “GOZALO” gained the title Best Album of the Year (2007) in Colombia by Magazine Semana. The tropical sound of this ensemble has surprised many, coming as it does from the capital city of Bogota, which until some years ago was an absolute ‘no-no’ for salsa bands. Another great attraction of LA 33 is the balance between lyrics and arrangements as well as for its fresh live show, unencumbered by corny, old-style ‘cabaret-salsa’ presentation.
Named after the Bogota street where the band’s office is situated – Calle 33 - LA 33 received recognition as best live performers at the X biennale of Festival Ibero American of Theater in Bogota in April 2006, whilst in December 2006, it was nominated as BEST LIVE SHOW in the Colombian Salsa Panorama.
Every La 33 musician comes from a different musical background: rock, funk, ska, folk, classical music, fusion and jazz. Perhaps it’s this diversity that is one of the secrets of this ensemble’s success. They’re known as the rockers of salsa because they combine the true swing and sabor of the classic salsa orchestra with true rock’n’roll attitude.
1. Sergio Mejia – Bass & leader
2. Santiago Mejia – Keyboard
3. Guillermo Celis - Singer
4. David Cantillo – Singer
5. Pablo Martinez - Singer
6. Cipriano Rojas - Congas
7. Juan David Fernandez- Timbal
8. Diego Sanchez - Bongo
9. Roland Nieto -Trumpet
10. Juan Felipe Cardenas - Saxophon
11. Jose Miguel Vega -Trombone
12. Vladimir Romero -Trombone
• 2004 – La 33 (La 33, Colombia), CD - independent
• 2005 – Ritmi Latini (Nuova Onda Colombiana, Hobby & Work, Italy) – compilation
Latino (Planet Records, Italy) - compilation
• 2006 – Baila!, (Putumayo Records, USA, 2006) - compilation
• 2006 - Best Latin Music, Various 3 (Ritmo Rico, Switzerland, 2006) - compilation
• 2006 - Latin Garden, Vol. 2 (Club Star, Germany, 2006) – compilation
• 2006 Ala Bianca (La Noche Cubana 24 & Margarita Caliente 20, Italy, 2006) – compilations
• 2007 – LA 33 & GOZALO (CD), Walboomers, The Netherlands.
TRACKS THAT HAVE RADIO PLAY
LA 33 "Bye Bye" in March 2008 in the tip chart of Holland largest national "urban" radio station, FUNX.
LA 33 "Pantera Mambo" in 2007 in the main Latin Charts and streaming.
LA 33 "El Robo" was included as soundtrack in the Colombian Movie"Dog eat Dog" directed by Carlos Moreno.
SETS: 2 x 45 or 1 x 90 min
1. La 33
2. Que Rico Boogaloo
3. La Rumba Buena
4. Plinio Guzman
5. Bye Bye
7. Anny's Boogaloo
8. La Pantera Mambo
9. Bomba Colombiana
There are no upcoming dates at this time.