Mendacity is a progressive metal band influenced by various styles of music, creating a unique sound and vibe that is sure to captivate audiences everywhere. The members have been friends for a long time and have worked on many projects and played with several bands. Now they have united to write music that is sure to stand out.
Mendacity was formed in 1994 by drummer Jose, guitarist/vocalist Axel, guitarist Ralph, and lead vocalist/bassist Carlos. Originally more of a straightforward Death metal band, they gigged in Florida and across its borders with bands such as Deicide, Malevolent Creation, Living Sacrifice, Brutality, Nonpoint, and Shai Hulud a.o.
Mendacity released the "Atrocity Reflected" demo in 1994, and later recorded their first full length Album “Imprisonment” in 1995. They were actively involved in the underground scene and featured in several ‘zines and even bigger international ‘zines like Terrorizer and Heavy Rock. In 1996 they were included in the compilation “Orchestrated Chaos” featuring several bands active in the underground.
In 1998 Mendacity recruited Omar as their new permanent bassist and went on to record their second Album "For Dear Life". This EP was recorded entirely live with the exception of the vocals and a small lead. The energy is apparent, and the music had increased in energy fusing hardcore, melodic, and even dissonance in a creative way that was quite new for the public at the time.
Then came a period where the members went in different directions, Axel joining Aghora, Jose touring with Bird of Ill Omen, Carlos joining the Marines etc. They would briefly rejoin in 2001 but only play one concert and then disbanding yet again. The majority of the members would then play in Para- a female fronted energetic rock band that gigged extensively in South Florida and was well received but would dissolve around 2004.
This allowed Axel and Jose to reunite with an enthusiasm bigger than ever to create something original and revisiting their old passion for heavy melodic music. They would write and demo several tracks while searching for members and would eventually be rejoined by original members Omar and Carlos. This marked a new beginning for Mendacity.
Their music has evolved greatly over the years. While still retaining aggression and melodic elements, Mendacity have opened their sound greatly by using more clean, textured and melodic guitars as well as melodic singing in addition to their traditional death metal vocals and distorted guitars. They have created a sort of ambient melodic death metal sound that was missing in South Florida and is more reminiscent of a European sound.
With their renewed vigor and maturity they hope to establish themselves yet again in the metal community after their long absence with the release of their new self-titled album that became available August 23rd, 2008.
Their new 2008 self-titled full length release is now available through Vinland Records.
Axel Ekendahl - Guitar and Vocals
Jose Flores - Drums
Carlos Castillo - Bass
Omar Elesgaray - Guitar
Atrocity Reflected - 1994
Imprisonment - 1996
For Dear Life - 1999
Mendacity - 2008
Mendacity makes The Asylum’s top 50 CD’s of 2008
[+ Show ]
THE ASYLUM PLAYLIST TOP 50 CD’S OF 2008 Category: Music ok here it is the top 50 cd's of 2008 no...THE ASYLUM PLAYLIST TOP 50 CD’S OF 2008
ok here it is the top 50 cd's of 2008 now this was picked by me which means that this is the best cd's of the year in my own opinion so don't get all upset if your favorites aren't on here
50. MENDACITY - "Away" - MENDACITY - myspace.com/mendacityband
49. ZIMMERS HOLE - "1312" - WHEN YOU WERE SHOUTING AT THE DEVIL...WE WERE IN LEAGUE WITH SATAN - myspace.com/zimmershole
48. PSYCROPTIC - "Slaves Of Nil" - OB(SERVANT) - myspace.com/psycroptic
47. ABORTED - "Pestiferous Subterfuge" - STRYCHNINE.213 - myspace.com/abortedmetal
46. THE DUSKFALL - "Shadows And Cancer" - THE DYING WONDERS OF THE WORLD - myspace.com/theduskfa11
45. AGENDA OF SWINE - "Lost In Apathy" - WAVES OF HUMAN SUFFERING - myspace.com/agendaofswine
44. INTO ETERNITY - "Diagnosis Terminal" - THE INCURABLE TRAGEDY - myspace.com/officialintoeternity
43. COLDWORKER - "Paradox Lost" - ROTTING PARADISE - myspace.com/coldworker
42. MISERY INDEX - "Theocracy" - TRAITORS - myspace.com/miseryindex
41. GAMA BOMB - "Zombie Blood Nightmare" - CITIZEN BRAIN - myspace.com/gamabomb
40. DESTRUCTION - "Offenders Of The Throne" - D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N. - myspace.com/officialdestruction
39. THE RED DEATH - "Godless" - GODMAKERS - myspace.com/thereddeath
38. SLYTRACT - "Marching Through The Defeated" - EXPLANATION:UNKNOWN - myspace.com/slytract
37. KRISIUN - "Twisting Sights" - SOUTHERN STORM - myspace.com/krisiun666
36. TORRID FLESH - "One Hundred Million Cries" - RAVAGED LANDS - myspace.com/torridflesh
35. TEXTURES - "Storm Warning" - SILHOUETTES - myspace.com/textures
34. CONSUMNED - "Disembowelment Of The Weak" - MANipulation - myspace.com/consumned
33. DEEDS OF FLESH - "Unearthly Invent" - OF WHAT'S TO COME - myspace.com/deedsflesh
32. WARBRINGER - "Hell On Earth" - WAR WITHOUT END - myspace.com/warbringer
31. BENEDICTION - "They Must Die Screaming" - KILLING MUSIC - myspace.com/benedictionuk
30. ROMEO MUST DIE - "Defined By Enemies" - DEFINED BY ENEMIES - myspace.com/romeomustdie
29. SEVERED SAVIOR - "Spoils Of War" - SERVILE INSURRECTION - myspace.com/severedsavior
28. HOLLENTHON - "Once We Were Kings" - OPUS MAGNUM - myspace.com/hollenthonofficial
27. HOUR OF PENANCE - "Absence Of Truth" - THE VILE CONCEPTION - myspace.com/hourofpenance
26. ABYSMAL DAWN - "Grotesque Modern Art" - PROGRAMMED TO CONSUME - myspace.com/abysmaldawn
25. ORIGIN - "Consuming Misery" - ANTITHESIS - myspace.com/origin666
24. ILLDISPOSED - "The Key To My Salvation" - THE PRESTIGE - myspace.com/illdisposed
23. END-TIME ILLUSION - "Awaken The Soul Of Man" - EMINENT PROFANE - myspace.com/endtimeillusion
22. THE FAMINE - "Consume Devour Repeat" - THE RAVEN AND THE REAPING - myspace.com/thefaminedestroys
21. BLOODBATH - "Mock The Cross" - THE FATHOMLESS MASTERY - myspace.com/bloodbathband
20. LICH KING - "Thrash Resurgence" - TOXIC ZOMBIE ONSLAUGHT - myspace.com/lichkingband
19. TESTAMENT - "The Formation Of Damnation" - THE FORMATION OF DAMNATION - myspace.com/testamentlegions
18. PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT - "Killing For Company" - DESCENDANTS OF DEPRAVITY - myspace.com/prostitutedisfigurement
17. THE FACELESS - "The Ancient Covenant" - PLANETARY DUALITY - myspace.com/thefaceless
16. SCAR SYMMETRY - "The Missing Cooridinates" - HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE - myspace.com/scarsymmetry
15. SHAI HULUD - "In The Mind And Marrow" - MISANTHROPY PURE - myspace.com/profoundhatred
14. PROPHECY - "Agony Within" - LEGIONS OF VIOLENCE - myspace.com/prophecythrash
13. TERMINAL FUNCTION - "Tactile" - MEASURING THE ABSTRACT - myspace.com/terminalfunction
12. DAWN OF DEMISE - "...And Blood Will Flow" - HATE TAKES ITS FORM - myspace.com/dawnofdemise
11. BYZANTINE - "Expansion And Collapse" - OBLIVION BECKONS - myspace.com/byzantine
10. DECREPIT BIRTH - "A Gathering Of Imaginations" - DIMINISHING BETWEEN WORLDS - myspace.com/decrepitbirth
09. ZERO HOUR - "Dark Deceiver" - DARK DECEIVER - myspace.com/zerohourband
08. MESHUGGAH - "Combustion" - OBZEN - myspace.com/meshuggah
07. REVOCATION - "Summon The Spawn" - EMPIRE OF THE OBSCENE - myspace.com/revocation
06. SEPTICFLESH - "Sangreal" - COMMUNION - myspace.com/septicfleshband
05. NO RETURN - "News Item" - MANIPULATED MIND - myspace.com/noreturn2006
04. OUR FINAL CHAPTER - "Kill The Silence" - KILL THE SILENCE - myspace.com/ourfinalchapter
03. NEURAXIS - "Deviation Occurs" - THE THIN LINE BETWEEN - myspace.com/neuraxis
03. GOJIRA - "Vacuity" - THE WAY OF ALL FLESH - myspace.com/gojira
03. LIGHT THIS CITY - "A Desperate Resolution" - STORMCHASER - myspace.com/lightthiscity
02. DARKANE - "Execution 44" - DEMONIC ART - myspace.com/darkane
01. CYNIC - "The Space For This" - TRACED IN AIR - myspace.com/cyniconline
Archaic Magazine Album Review
[+ Show ]
MENDACITY (USA) MENDACITY Vinland Records Written by Ron Salden on Thursday 04 December, 2008 ...MENDACITY (USA)
MENDACITY Vinland Records
Written by Ron Salden on Thursday 04 December, 2008
Charlie Ekendahl (ex-Aghora) sent me this album a few months ago and while I was thoroughly enjoying the band's music I completely forgot about actually writing a review. Sorry man!
Since I was unfamiliar with the band's prior releases this CD, which is actually their 3rd album, was a first acquaintance and a wonderful one at that. Ever since I first heard the album opener "Blinded eyes" on their myspace I knew this was going to be a great album.
What do they sound like? Hmm, hard to describe really. They take melodic death metal but mix things up with a lot of semi-clean riffing and clean vocals. It's like Opeth doing My Dying Bride's melancholy but with more concise and focussed songs. That probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it's good enough to give you some sense haha. Actually, a band that does come close to Mendacity's sound is the Danish band Aurora though I'm sure not many of you will know them.
Anyone who's read more than a handful of my reviews knows I'm always drawn to bands who manage to write compelling songs which contain a fair amount of catchiness. Mendacity deliver this and then some! The melancholy is omnipresent but never gets drowsy, they really manage to keep things fresh by charging up the metal factor of the songs at perfectly timed moments. Take "Release me" for example. The song's very mellow and then suddenly bursts out in raging screams of agony and shredding riffs before it settles down again leaving one in ruins. This interplay of mellow and heavier parts is being done splendidly throughout the entire album. Clearly some thought has been put into the track order. With "Blinded eyes" and "Away" the band showcases its sound before dropping "Times change" which is much mellower in character. Another example is that the mellowest song "Silence" which has only clean vocals is followed by the heaviest song "Our dying ways" which only has befitting screams.
It's good to hear that Aghora main man Santiago Dobles has contributed an excellent guest solo in "The real you" which graces the song with a bit more elan. Charlie's voice varies from clean vocals to raspy screams. His clean voice is solid but in the rare occasion he overreaches a bit like for instance around the 1:34 mark in "Blinded eyes" it actually works to the song's advantage by amplifying the hopelessness. "Times change" ends with a strings part which is a really nice touch that enhances the song's melancholy...
In short, I was rather impressed by this album and rather glad to have found out about them through the Aghora forum. Let's hope they don't take another 11 years to release a new album!
[+ Show ]
Mendacity This progressive metal band from Miami, Florida melds clean and distorted guitars like ...Mendacity
This progressive metal band from Miami, Florida melds clean and distorted guitars like other bands mix scream and clean vocals. Heavy, brutal, and unrelenting. Their 14 years of history shows up in the musicianship. (DV)
40-50 Minute set. No cover songs. Between 7-8 original songs.
There are no upcoming dates at this time.
|Feb 27, 2009 Friday||11:00 PM||Tobbaco Road||Miami, FL, US|
|Feb 8, 2009 Sunday||7:00 PM||Churchill's||Miami, FL, US|
|Jan 29, 2009 Thursday||7:00 PM||Churchill's||Miami, FL, US|
|Dec 27, 2008 Saturday||10:00 PM||Wallflower Gallery||Miami, FL, US|
|Oct 16, 2008 Thursday||7:00 PM||Bourbon Street Night Club||Tampa, FL, US|
|Sep 28, 2008 Sunday||7:00 PM||Drake's||Miami, FL, US|
|Sep 26, 2008 Friday||7:00 PM||The Dungeon||Orlando, FL, US|
|Aug 30, 2008 Saturday||8:00 PM||Club Capone||San Jose, Not Applicable, CR|
|Aug 29, 2008 Friday||7:00 PM||Rockland||San Jose, Not Applicable, CR|