MBQ is today one of the leading and interesting small acoustic mainstream bands on Latvian jazz scene, streching special accents on pop – jazz and latin – jazz. MBQ has performed on several international stages - MIDEM/Cannes, Pori Jazz, Rigas Ritmi Festival, Ottawa Jazz, Kaunas Jazz, Jazz Kaar, (St.Petersburg), Jazz at Castle (Prague), Toronto, Montreal, Ankara Jazz and Venice Jazz Festival 2010 and Blue Note Jazz club in New York with Brian Lynch and Chris Potter.
In 2005 Maris Briezkalns with his companions created first album "Latvian Evergreens", not even imagining that it could have continuation. Now we have the second album - it is as thrilling, witty and lovely as the first. Some pieces are musical mysteries, others - recognizable at the spot. But all of them, freed from the smell of archives, are brought to second life."
The leader of the Quintet is Maris Briezkalns, a drummer and producer. He is a chief of Latvian Radio Recording Studios, for a lot of years has been the drummer of Latvian Radio Big Band and participated in recording of more than 70 CD’s, has given master classes in Norway, Germany, Great Britain, performed in such countries, as USA, Falkland Islands, Spain, Canada, Turkey. He runs the Contemporary Music Centre and produces the International Music Festival “Rigas Ritmi” and Jazz Artists Competition „Sony Jazz Stage”. Has been nominated for Great Music Award in 2008. Among others, Maris Briezkalns has produced a list of interesting CD’s - “Bach-Kamer-Pauls”, “Jazz /Latvia 2008”, “The Best of Sony Jazz Stage”, Baltic Jazz Trio CD “Baltic Saga”.
Gints Paberzs is Latvian Great Music Award 2006 winner, The Great Music Award (GMA) is the highest prize given by the Latvian state in the field of music. He is also a member of Riga Saxophone Quartet, with whom he got another GMA in 1999. For years Gints Paberzs has been member of very popular Latvian funk jazz group “Time After Time”, which also has achieved international recognition.
Intars Busulis has gained popularity far abroad, he is winner of International jazz artist competition „Sony Jazz Stage 2004” and pop music competition “Jaunais vilnis (New Wave) 2005”, took part in European Youth Jazz Orchestra conducted by Vic Vogel giving concerts in Canada, Germany, Denmark and Sweden.
Viktors Ritovs is well known for his brilliant technique both to classical and jazz music listeners. He teaches jazz at the Latvian Music Academy.
Andris Grunte is sharing love for jazz with the work in the Latvian Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra.
Intars Busulis - voice, trombone
Viktors Ritovs - piano, keys
Gints Paberzs - saxophones
Andris Grunte - bass
Maris Briezkalns - drums
CD Felix Jazz
CD Latvian Evergreens Vol 1
CD Latvian Evergreens Vol 2
CD The Best Of Sony Jazz Stage
CD Jazz From Latvia
CD Jazz na Hrade (Live) / Jazz at Prague Castle 2010
Maris Briezkalns Quintet programs.
1.Jazz Standards Program
- Beautiful Love /Victor Young/
- Yardbird Suite /Charlie Parker/
- Im Full to Want You /J. Wolf/Herron/
- Nature Boy /Eden Ahbez/
- Body And Soul /Edward Hayman/
- There Will Never Be Another You /Harry Warren/
- Dont Go To The Strangers /Redd Evans/Arthur Kent/Dave Mann
- I’ve Got You Under My Skin/Cole Porter/
- Ain’t no Sunshine /Ain’t no Sunshine/
- Valse Melncholique /Melanholiskais valsis - Emils Darzinš/
- Lullaby /Šupula dziesma - Janis Medinš
- Winter Snow /Ziemas sniegs - Arvids Žilinskis
- Strange Clothes /Svešas drebes - Raimonds Pauls
- I Wonder/Brinos es- Alfreds Kalninš
- Celebration at the ice castle/Svetki ledus pili - Arvids Žilinskis
- Spanish Romance/Spaniešu romance - Emils Darzinš
- Good Night/Ar labu nakti - Arvids Žilinskis
- Sparrows Fight/Zvirbulu kauja - Arvids Žilinskis
- Daina nr.6 - Janis Medinš
3. European Song Book
- Bluesette /T.Thielemans/
- Mercy, Mercy, Mercy /Joe Zawinul/
- The Summer Knows /Michel Legrand/
- Watch What Happens /Michel Legrand/
- Softly As In A Morning Sunrise /Siegmund Rosenberg/
- I wish You Love /Léo Chaulia/
- Fragile /Sting/
PDF RiderMaris Briezkalns Quintet: Backline & Input list
There are no upcoming dates at this time.