K8DS is Chicago pop acoustic songwriter/musician Kate Diaz, b. 1997
"Kate Diaz is a name you may not have heard of yet, but I can almost guarantee you will become very familiar with in the next several years. At the age of 15, she already demonstrates songwriting prowess and maturity that most 25 year olds only dream of. Having an incredible voice definitely doesn't hurt either. Simply put, she's ten years ahead of everyone else, and I can't wait to see where she ends up." - Sonicbids Weekly Shoutout Vol. 41, Milwaukee Yellow Phone Music Conference- September 2012
Kate Diaz writes all her own songs, and in the past few years has been selected on Sonicbids to play shows at this year's Taste Of Chicago Bud Light stage, 2012 Milwaukee Summerfest's U.S. Cellular stage, 2011 Lollapalooza's Kidzapalooza stage, as well as at some of the most well known venues around Chicago.
This year Kate is an IMA Nominee in the 12th Annual Independent Music Awards and was asked to open for a well-known touring teen pop band at their sold-out Chicago House Of Blues show. She has endorsements with Godin Guitars and Gorilla Ears IEMs. Other highlights include performing last year at the 2012 Earth Day festival on the National Mall in Washington DC, her guest appearances at sold-out Metro and House of Blues shows, Chicago LIVE! and Windy City Live show appearances, her songs for children's cancer and environmentalism, and awards from: National YoungArts, Ascap, Berklee, a KissFM contest judged by a huge pop star, and online songwriting competitions.
Kate started out on YouTube in 5th grade, and got herself a job playing at her local Potbelly sandwich shop the next year. She debuted twice in Chicago, age 12 at House Of Blues and age 13 at The Metro, as a guest performer of well-known bands who liked her youtube videos of their songs. At 13 Kate also discovered SonicBids, which opened up a whole new world for her, enabling the teenager to get selected online for shows and songwriting competitions in Chicago and beyond.
Kate released her third live acoustic album of original songs in February, and also has released two singles. She juggles high school and soccer with being a DIY musician, doing all her own booking, websites, poster and album art, videos, copyrighting, digital releases, burning CDs. Kate's passion for music is fueled by all the youtubers who take the time to leave comments, the generous customers at Potbelly and people who come out to shows, and the many incredibly nice musicians and music industry people, both online and in Chicago, who have gone out of their way with encouragement, opportunities and the guitars that make the music.
• Taste Of Chicago performer - July 2013
Selected on Sonicbids to perform on Bud Light Stage, July 14.
• Opening Act for Emblem3 at Chicago House Of Blues - March 26, 2013.
Sold-out show on main stage. Main act Emblem3 is one of Simon Cowell's XFactor groups.
• Earth Day Festival on The National Mall performer - Washington DC, April 22, 2012
Performed original song “Down To Earth” at festival headlined by Cheap Trick.
• Milwaukee Summerfest performer - June 2012
Selected on Sonicbids to perform at Summerfest, on the U.S. Cellular Stage, June 30.
Also invited to tape acoustic performance & interview on the Sennheiser Artist Tour Bus, July 4.
• Lollapalooza Music Festival performer - Grant Park, Chicago, IL - August 2011
Selected on Sonicbids to perform on the Kidzapalooza Stage, Friday August 5 & Sunday August 7.
• Chicago LIVE! performer - August 2011
Interviewed live by Chicago Tribune music critic Greg Kot, and performance, at Chicago Theatre.
• National YoungArts Winner. Honorable Mention in Popular Voice category - January 2013
• ASCAP Plus Awards, Popular Music Division - 2012, 2013
Performing rights organization ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers) determines ASCAP Plus Awards yearly by independent panel of distinguished music experts.
• Ellie Goulding Next IT Girl Winner - April 2012
Finals were judged by Ellie Goulding live at Chicago Kiss-FM radio station’s Coca Cola Lounge.
• Berklee/Sonicbids Battle For Five-Week Winner - June 2011
Finals were held in Boston at Café 939 and judged by Berklee professors. Prize was a full ride to 2011 Berklee summer program. Finalists were selected by Berklee via Sonicbids EPKs. Full merit scholarships also to return for two more summers, 2012 and 2013.
• Godin Guitars endorsement, Gorilla Ears in ear monitor endorsement.
Also received guitars from Taylor Guitars, Martin Guitars and Luna Guitars.
• Arts & Athletes For The Earth music partner.
EarthDay.org artists and athletes committed to green living and environmental awareness.
• NSHSS Foundation/CPF grant to continue "Down To Earth" HangOn project - May 2013
“Ten top high school scholars who exemplify what it is to be an environmental steward, humanitarian, and leader.” – Claes Nobel, Founder National Society of High School Scholars Foundation
• Captain Planet Foundation Environmental Gala at The Georgia Aquarium - Atlanta GA, December 2012
“Down To Earth” music video started event; one of 4 teens to win environmentalist award and trip to attend.
• United Nations International Day Of The Girl - October 11, 2012
Asked to write a song for the newly established United Nations International Day Of The Girl, promoting girls rights. “Don’t Leave Her Behind” song was broadcast live at the Day Of The Girl Summit.
• Chicago ABC-7 television "Windy City Live" morning show - performed original songs on the show twice, in July 2011 and also in December 2011.
• Huffington Post video interview - December 2012
Featured in The Huffington Post for "Christmas Smiles" song and children’s cancer fundraisers.
PAST PERFORMANCE VENUES:
As a guest performer:
• The Metro - Chicago, IL - K’naan concert, April 11, 2010.
• The House Of Blues - Chicago, IL - Sister Hazel concert, December 18, 2009.
As an independent artist:
• Lollapalooza Music Festival - Chicago, IL
• Milwaukee Summerfest Music Festival - Milwaukee, WI
• Earth Day Festival on the National Mall - Washington DC
• Chicago ABC-7 television Windy City Live morning show - Chicago, IL
• Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL
• Yellow Phone Music Conference - Milwaukee, WI
• Sonicbids HQ - Boston, MA
• House Of Blues, on both main stage and Crossroads stage - Chicago, IL
• Kiss-FM Coca Cola Lounge - Chicago, IL
• The Apple Store - Chicago, IL
• Hard Rock Café - Chicago, IL
• Six Flags Great America - Gurnee, IL
• ChicAGoGo television show - Chicago, IL
• Abbey Pub, Elbo Room, Uncommon Ground on Clark, Heartland Café, Tonic Room, Red Line Tap, Katerina’s, Looseleaf Lounge - Chicago, IL
• Dandelion Wine Festival, Mariposa Festival, Beloit International Film Festival BIFF+Music, Buffalo Grove Days, and ArtWauk festivals, Ballydoyle, Potbelly, Madame ZuZus Teahouse, Vibe at 1935 - Chicagoland
• AmplyFi, Republic Of Pie, Anaheim Farmers Market - Los Angeles, CA
With Berklee Five Week Summer Program:
• Berklee Performance Center • Café 939 • Berklee CAF • Berklee Bookstore
With Voices Rising middle school chorus:
• Carnegie Hall - New York • The Kennedy Center - Washington DC • Symphony Hall - Chicago • Harris Theater - Chicago • Pick-Staiger Hall - Evanston, IL
• National YoungArts Winner, honorable mention in the popular voice category.
• ASCAP Plus Award, Popular Music Division.
• Lollapalooza full merit scholarship to return to 2013 Berklee 5-Week summer program.
• 12th Annual Independent Music Awards Nominee, top 5 in 2013 IMA social action category, winners to be announced spring 2013.
• 29th Annual Mid-Atlantic Song Contest Winner, 1st Place in Open category.
• 14th Annual Great American Song Contest finalist.
• ISC International Songwriting Competition semi-finalist.
• ASCAP Plus Award, Popular Music Division.
• AdColor AdMusic Winner.
• ANRGirl Monthly Critique Winner, June.
• Songwriter Universe Song Of The Month Winner, October.
• Captain Planet Foundation/Rocket21 Dream GREEN Grand Prize Winner.
• Ellie Goulding Next IT Girl 1st Place Winner.
• Full merit scholarship to return to 2012 Berklee 5-Week summer program.
• Mountain Stage NewSong Midwest Finalist.
• UK Song Contest finalist.
• Malibu Music Awards finalist.
• EcoArts Songs Of Freedom finalist.
• Converse Rubbertrack Studios/Rocket21 finalist.
• MEOW Discoveries finalist.
• Berklee/Sonicbids Battle For Five-Week 1st Place Winner.
• COLLEGE NEWS featured artist contest winner, September.
• Live59 Singer/Songwriter Contest 1st Place Winner, Plainfield, IL 3-round competition.
• Edge On Air radio featured artist, June.
• Sing! Top 3 finalist, Deer Park, IL.
• NATS Chicago Chapter Top 5, musical theatre category. Youngest competitor.
2010: NY Song Circle Music 5th Annual Songwriters Contest Young Songwriters Award Runner-Up.
2008: Sam Ash Guitar Solo Contest Winner, judged by Ted Nugent Band guitarist Derek St. Holmes.
• Christmas Smiles
Each year since 2009, perform a series of fundraiser concerts at local Potbelly sandwich shop from Thanksgiving through Christmas, and donate all tips, sales of “Christmas Smiles” song and all CD sales to CureSearch For Children’s Cancer research foundation.
• Down To Earth
All sales from “Down To Earth” song donated to EarthDay.org’s sustainable energy projects.
• Don’t Leave Her Behind
Asked to write a song for the newly established United Nations International Day Of The Girl, promoting girls rights. “Don’t Leave Her Behind” song was broadcast live at the Day Of The Girl Summit, 10.11.12. Sales from ReverbNation.com donate half to Half The Sky Movement for girls/women's rights, through the ReverbNation MUSIC IS GOOD program.
• 2011, 2012, 2013 Berklee College Of Music Five-Week Summer Performance Programs
Full merit scholarship three consecutive summers: 2011 Battle For Five Week Winner and 2012 Lollapalooza Merit Scholarship recipient. Auditioned into Singers Showcase (1 of 5), Songwriter Showcase (1 of 8), Blowout Concert World Ensemble at Berklee Performance Center. Selected to perform at 2011 trustees meeting. Selected to perform a solo CAF Show, July 2011.
• High School, 2009-present, Class of 2014
Percussionist in school orchestra; started school jazz combo; guitarist and drummer in school jazz combo; freshman member of choir and honors chorus and NATS finalist. AP Music Theory as a sophomore; wrote and arranged orchestra compositions performed at school concerts as well as a jazz composition; performed solo acoustic at school concerts; won the 2012 talent show and the prize was to performed an original song at a 2012 commencement ceremony. Completed Coursera Berklee 6-week online Songwriting course, spring 2013. Skipped 8th grade. Varsity soccer center midfielder starter since freshman year; 2012 MVP and high goal scorer; 2013 co-captain; selected for Illinois ODP team for 4 years.
• Since age 12, Musician at Potbelly Sandwich Shop, 12-2pm Saturdays, Wheeling, IL
• Since age 13, set up own web sites, file own copyrighting and ASCAP, apply online for shows and songwriting contests.
• Since age 15, record vocal tracks for songwriter demos, for clients of a San Diego, CA studio.
• Created HangOn, a recycling system for wire hangers, which received a 2013 NSHSS grant.
• Selected but didn't go: 2012 Grammy camp, soccer ODP Regionals, The Voice Season 4 via industry audition.
• Interviews: Huffington Post HooplaHa video, Chicago Tribune video, Chicago Sun-Times, Daily Herald, Time Out Chicago Kids, Berklee Blog, Kidzapalooza Blog video, Chicago Acoustic Underground video, Fearless Radio podcast, Vents Magazine, Chicago Music Guide, LiveFix Music Blog podcast, Illiinois Center for Broadcasting video, CLC Radio podcast.
• Started writing songs when started guitar; guitar/jazz lessons on and off from 2nd grade through middle school. Self-taught in piano, drums, bass, voice. As h.s. orchestra percussionist, play various drums as well as xylophone and other percussion instruments.
Two studio-recorded singles: “Down To Earth” (4/2012) • “Christmas Smiles” (11/2010)
Three live acoustic albums of original songs: Wildfire (2/2013) • Electrified (9/2011) • Two By Four (2/2011)
Sales of "Christmas Smiles" song are donated to CureSearch For Children's Cancer Research.
Sales of "Down To Earth" are donated to EarthDay.org sustainable energy projects.
Sales of "Don't Leave Her Behind" from ReverbNation.com donate half to Half The Sky Movement for girls/women's rights, through the ReverbNation MUSIC IS GOOD program.
AUDIO/VIDEO: on the VIDEO tab of http://www.KateDiazMusic.com there are links to click for some recent performances, and http://www.youtube.com/k8ds has videos for most of my originals, and playlists of live performances and covers.
Down To Earth
Kill The Question Mark (live at CAU)
Don't Leave Her Behind (live)
Kate Diaz-Electrified - on Chicago Acoustic Underground
Kate Diaz-At The Same Time - on Chicago Acoustic Underground
Kate Diaz-Don't Judge Me - on Chicago Acoustic Underground
Christmas Smiles (orchestra version)
Music Tour Reviews | Emblem3
[+ Show ]
It was the show you did not want to miss. Local, Kate Diaz opened up the show. She played a couple...It was the show you did not want to miss. Local, Kate Diaz opened up the show. She played a couple of original songs on the guitar. And although it must have been nerve-wrecking playing up on stage for the big crowd that it was, she made it look easy. She did an amazing job; ... It was a lot of fun and very memorable. Both acts did a fantastic job and knew how to please the crowd. A lot of success is in store for Kate Diaz, and Emblem3 is about to set the young adult market on fire this summer.
live concert review: Emblem3 rides "Riptide' into Chicago House Of Blues
[+ Show ]
Local musician Kate Diaz opened the (sold-out) show, appearing solo with acoustic guitar. The teen a...Local musician Kate Diaz opened the (sold-out) show, appearing solo with acoustic guitar. The teen artist was warmly welcomed by her peers and gave a strong vocal performance of original material. - March 27, 2013.
Kate Diaz's "Down To Earth” Named October "Best Song Of The Month" Oct. 2012 By Dale Kawashima, founder - SongwritingUniverse
[+ Show ]
“Down To Earth” is an assertive rock/pop song which has the energy and full sound of a Kelly Clarkso...“Down To Earth” is an assertive rock/pop song which has the energy and full sound of a Kelly Clarkson radio hit--you wouldn't guess that it's a 15-year-old who wrote and sang this song. It has a distinctive song title which cleverly captures the Earth Day theme, and a well crafted lyric which elaborates on this message. "Down To Earth" also provides a good showcase for Diaz's expressive, soulful vocal performance.
Forget the new iphone, we're all about yellow phone! This music conference in Milwaukee was off the hook, so in case you missed these bands, allow us to be your star-6-9. - Sonicbids Weekly Shoutout Vol. 41 Sept. 2012
[+ Show ]
Kate Diaz is a name you may not have heard of yet, but I can almost guarantee you will become very f...Kate Diaz is a name you may not have heard of yet, but I can almost guarantee you will become very familiar with in the next several years. At the age of 15, she already demonstrates songwriting prowess and maturity that most 25 year olds only dream of. Having an incredible voice definitely doesn't hurt either. Simply put, she's ten years ahead of everyone else, and I can't wait to see where she ends up.
anrGirl Hot Seat Monthy Critique June 2012 - Holly Hutchinson, owner/A&R Executive - ANGIRL
[+ Show ]
I love the tone of this young girl’s voice and think she’s a promising songwriter. At the age of 15,...I love the tone of this young girl’s voice and think she’s a promising songwriter. At the age of 15, I think she’s off to a superb start. The song “Down to Earth” is a “call to awareness” type of song. She has a natural knack to her writing that has a natural rhythmic flow. The lyrical content is clever in her approach in raising awareness to environmental matters. The arrangement is tight. This is a song that seems to be over too quickly….ear candy created with piano melodies, vocal flow, etc.
My day at the Yellow Phone Music Conference Oct. 2011 - Tess Cychosz - Sonicbids Blog
[+ Show ]
A highlight for me was seeing Kate Diaz. After getting over the moment of depression I had when I re...A highlight for me was seeing Kate Diaz. After getting over the moment of depression I had when I realized that a 14-year-old had more musical talent than I’ll ever have, I really enjoyed listening to her voice and I was shocked at her incredibly mature songwriting. She explained that her song “At The Same Time” was about her being torn between playing music and soccer, but after listening I really just think “soccer” was a code word she gave her parents for “boyfriend.” (Don’t worry Kate, I won’t tell!)
Chicago Sun-TImes Lollapalooza’s got lotsa music in store for kids, too Aug. 2011 - Tor Hyams, Kidzapalooza festival producer
[+ Show ]
She’s one of the better songwriters I’ve heard in a long time. She’s like a pretty well-rounded, wel...She’s one of the better songwriters I’ve heard in a long time. She’s like a pretty well-rounded, well-adjusted kid who’s from Chicago and just loves to play music. It’s empowering … if you’re a kid and you see someone near your age playing like that … it’s amazing. That’s pretty inspiring.
Top 10 moments from Kidzapalooza 2011 | Friday - Judy Sutton - TimeOut Chicago Kids
[+ Show ]
The entire set played by 14-year-old Northwest Suburban singer/songwriter/guitarist Kate Diaz, who n...The entire set played by 14-year-old Northwest Suburban singer/songwriter/guitarist Kate Diaz, who nailed every stirring song. You heard it here first: You'll likely see her performing on one of the Lolla main stages in a few years.
A Quick Guide to Kidzapalooza 2011
[+ Show ]
Kate Diaz is a Chicago-area teenage singer-songwriter who, judging by her YouTube channel, writes a ...Kate Diaz is a Chicago-area teenage singer-songwriter who, judging by her YouTube channel, writes a lot of songs. I suspect that of all the teen acts at Kidzapalooza this weekend, she's the most likely to graduate to one of the other stages at the festival.
Chicago Tribune TURN IT UP: A Guided Tour Through The Worlds Of Pop, Rock And Rap By Greg Kot
[+ Show ]
Catch If You Can: Kate Diaz (11:30 a.m., Kidz): Promising 14-year-old Northwest suburban folk-pop si...Catch If You Can: Kate Diaz (11:30 a.m., Kidz): Promising 14-year-old Northwest suburban folk-pop singer should get the day off to a pleasant start at the well-shaded Kidz oasis. - Greg Kot, Chicago Tribune
Chicago LIVE! 08-04-11
[+ Show ]
Chicago area native Kate Diaz gives a preview performance before her breakthrough gig this weekend a...Chicago area native Kate Diaz gives a preview performance before her breakthrough gig this weekend at Kidzapalooza.
K’NAAN in Chicago: Micro-Moments Create Mega Pleasure - April 2010
[+ Show ]
Ever since we first saw Kate amaze us at the Metro we knew she was well beyond her years. I watched...Ever since we first saw Kate amaze us at the Metro we knew she was well beyond her years. I watched amazed at the skill and composure of Kate as she nailed the song, ultimately putting a big pleasureful smile of approval on K’naan’s face too. Cheers and a roaring applause erupted after Kate finished strumming the song’s final chord. It was truly a moment where a fan was transforming into an artist right before our very eyes.
...click for more press & interview podcasts and videos
See http://www.katediazmusic.com/news and http://www.katediazmusic.com/qa
see DISCOGRAPHY under BIO