MARSHALL HONG has been performing music since age 5, when he began piano lessons and recitals. He began writing original music in his teens. Beginning in high school, HONG played keyboards and bass guitar in garage bands, graduating to more professional acts throughout his college years (all seven of them!)
While living in Kalamazoo, Michigan, HONG was a regular fixture in the local music scene, hosting a weekly open mic, and playing in small acoustic acts such as MUELLER & HONG, as well as rock bands (LIGHTS & SHADOWS; STRUNG OUT), and the psychedelic/Americana jam band, MILES OUT, which released the all-original album "MILES OUT" on cassette in 1993.
After returning to his hometown of Chicago, HONG continued to perform as the keyboardist in rock and jam bands, including ELEMENT, REALM, and CONTINUUM (all of which performed original HONG compositions, along with other music). The band ELEMENT composed and recorded the soundtrack for the PBS documentary, "The Cub Fan", which prominently featured one of HONG's ragtime piano pieces.
HONG released his first solo album, "ATTACK TIME!", featuring 8 original songs, in February 2010. The follow-up ("COUNTER-ATTACK!") is scheduled for release in September 2012.
HONG's original music incorporates elements from artists that have influenced him over his entire musical life: the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Who, Yes, Genesis, Queen, Bob Dylan, Jakob Dylan, the Grateful Dead, Wilco, Phish, the Decemberists, Fleetwood Mac, CSN&Y, and many others.
HONG performs a solo acoustic set, as well as an acoustic combo featuring ROB FARINA on bass guitar, as well as various other guest musicians.
Bassist ROB FARINA grew up in the same neighborhood as HONG, in Wheeling, Illinois. The two pursued different courses after high school, but reconnected on Facebook 25 years later. FARINA has performed as the bassist in numerous acts throughout the Chicago area, including HEINOUS DWAYNE and ROCKCOVERY (alongside his brother, guitarist CHRIS FARINA), and is currently performing in COMMON GROUND.
FARINA added his bass parts on a couple of tracks on ATTACK TIME!, and is handling nearly all the bass duties for COUNTER-ATTACK! FARINA has accompanied HONG in his live performances since 2010.
Marshall Hong - Vocals, guitars, keyboards, ukulele
Rob Farina - Vocals, Bass Guitar
MILES OUT: MILES OUT (1993) - featuring Hong on piano, Hammond M3, vocals.
ROB POULOS: ALWAYS IN MY HEART (1997) - Hong guest appearance on Hammond B3 on 3 album tracks.
ELEMENT: PROPERTIES NOT AFFECTED (1998) - featuring Hong on piano, Hammond A100, Korg MS10, Fender Rhodes.
ELEMENT: "THE CUB FAN" (soundtrack for the 1999 PBS documentary film of the same name) - featuring Hong on piano, Hammond A100, Korg MS10.
CONTINUUM: CONTINUUM (2003) - 6-song demo CD - featuring Hong on Hammond A100, Fender Rhodes, Korg MS10.
ATTACK TIME!: ATTACK TIME! (released February 2010) - HONG solo album.
MILES OUT: THE SUMMER SESSIONS (2008-2010) - limited production EP - featuring Hong on piano, organ, Korg MS10, ukulele, vocals.
ATTACK TIME!: COUNTER-ATTACK! (due for release September 2012) - HONG solo album.
HONG/ATTACK TIME - Set List
• Painted Skies at Moonrise (Hong)
• Whole World Someday (Hong)
• Now You Don’t (Hong)
• Edwardsburg Blues (Hong)
• Goodbye, I’m On My Way (Hong)
• Fossils (Hong)
• Valse Latino (Hong)
• I Guess That’s It (Hong)
• Sunshine #3 (Hong)
• Once . . . Tonight (Hong)
• Valley as Wide (Hong)
• Fire Away (Hong)
• War (Hong)
• First Watch (Hong)
• Let Love In (Hong)
• Feed the Fire (Hong)
• It’s Only A Dream (Hong)
• Rocky Mountain Belle (Trad.)
• Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (G. Harrison)
• Blue Red and Grey (P. Townshend)
• Grace that is Greater (Trad.)
• Without You (E. Vedder)
• Ramblin’ Man (Allman Bros)
• I’ll Fly Away (A. Brumley)
• They’ve Trapped Us Boys (J. Dylan)
• Raise Your Glass (B. Trickey)
• I’ll Sing “Darling” (B. Trickey)
• Rise to Me (Decemberists)
• January Hymn (Decemberists)
• January Wedding (Avett Bros)
• June Hymn (Decemberists)
• Nothing But The Whole Wide World (J. Dylan)
• Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright (B. Dylan)
• Beginnings (Chicago)
• Highway Patrolman (Springsteen)
• Fire and Rain - Capo 3rd (James Taylor)
• Sunny Skies (James Taylor)
• Rocky Raccoon (the Beatles)
• Across the Universe (the Beatles)
• We’re for the Dark – Capo 3rd (Badfinger)
• Here Comes the Sun – Capo 7th (the Beatles)
• Cannonball Days (Ryan Adams)
• Magnolia Mountain (Ryan Adams)
• Ripple (the Grateful Dead)
• Sugar Magnolia (the Grateful Dead)
• Friend of the Devil (the Grateful Dead)
• Sugaree (the Grateful Dead)
• Brown-Eyed Women (the Grateful Dead)
• Babylon (David Gray)
• Different Drum (Michael Nesmith)
• And I Love Her (the Beatles)
• I’ll Follow the Sun (the Beatles)
• In My Life (the Beatles)
• Southern Cross (CSN)
• Monday Morning (Fleetwood Mac)
• Beautiful Girl (Harrison)
• Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) – (Harrison)
• Woman (J. Lennon)
• I’ll Never Know (G. Poulos)
• I’m Yours (Jason Mraz)
• Upside Down (Jack Johnson)
• Time and a Word (Yes)
• Girl from the North Country (B. Dylan)
• I’m One (P. Townshend)
• Kathy’s Song (Paul Simon)
• Floyd Medley (POTW-1 > Green is the Colour > Free Four > Wish You Were Here > Mother > POTW-2)
Standard Tuning – ½ Step Detune:
• Crazy Love (Van Morrison)
• Pleasant Valley Sunday (the Monkees)
• Every Breath You Take (the Police)
• The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel)
• On the Way Home (N. Young)
• Here There and Everywhere (the Beatles)
• I Will (the Beatles)
• Blackbird (the Beatles)
Dropped D Tuning:
• Seven Curses (B. Dylan)
• Dear Prudence (Beatles)
• Your Body is a Wonderland (John Mayer)
• On Up the Mountain (J. Dylan)
Double Dropped D Tuning:
• Treetop Flyer (S. Stills)
Open D (DADF#AD) Tuning:
• Buckets of Rain (B. Dylan)
• Little Martha (Allman Brothers)
• Shelter from the Storm (B. Dylan)
• You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome (B. Dylan)
• She Talks to Angels (Black Crowes)
• Simple Twist of Fate (B. Dylan)
• Here Comes the Sun (R. Havens Style)
• The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (R. Havens Style)
• Never Going Back Again (L. Buckingham)
Open C: CGCGCE:
• Question (Moody Blues)
Open C: CGCEGC:
• Love the One You’re With (Stephen Stills)
There are no upcoming dates at this time.