If you're expecting some tale about a gifted child prodigy, or a girl born into poverty whose only escape was music, or anything of that nature which you would usually find in a story like this one about a musician or an entertainer, you won't find it here.
I haven't been singing since I could talk (not that I'm aware of) and I still work several jobs in order to pay my rent each month.
I am not that which dreams are made of; I am not the picture of success... yet. I am on my way.
And as I like to say, if you can't climb over all the walls that hold you back, break them down. Decide to make your own opportunities and quit relying on fate or luck or other people to give those chances to you.
So, here I am... in all my glory or lack thereof, wrapped in melodies, and lyrics, and heart.
Thank you for lending me your ears,
- M-Audio features Jenna and "Me Minus You" in new promo video for the Fast Track C600 on m-audio.com
- Women of Substance Radio's Artist of the Month
- "Happy" featured in all Landmark Theatres across the U.S.
- "Happy" featured as download of the day on MP3.com
- Rae Rae releases "Hard Times & Alcohol" featuring "93 In November", a song co-written by Jenna (this marks Jenna's first album cut).
- "Happy" chosen by Don Ienner (former president Sony records) as Artist Access winner on OurStage.com -- flown to NYC for one-on-one mentoring session.
- "Clear" placed in CW's "Hellcats", episode 120, original air date 5/3/11.
- $1,000 Grand Prize Winner in Pop - "Happy" - OurStage.com (back-to-back Grand Prize wins)
- $100 Category Winner - Female Singer-Songwriter - "Happy" - OurStage.com
- TuneCore chooses "Happy" for their Experience: Valentine's digital sampler.
- $1,000 Grand Prize Winner in Country - "You & I" - OurStage.com
- Released first single, "Happy", to iTunes and other digital outlets.
- Six Flags theme parks adding "You & I" to their in-park radio station beginning 8/20/10!
- Sonicbids Featured Artist week of 8/9/10!
- North Park Music Thing showcasing artist: Lestats, Friday 8/13/10, 9:00pm
- Selected to play Bluebird Cafe Tent at Country Throwdown in Irvine, CA on June 19, 2010
- Top 20 in the Lilith Local Talent Search on OurStage.com
- "Me Minus You" makes top 10 Indie-Pop songs on OurStage.com
- Featured performer at NAMM 2010 convention in Anaheim, CA.
- "Me Minus You" WINS #1 Pop song on OurStage.com!
- OurStage adds "Me Minus You" to their pop radio playlist on Winamp!
- OurStage.com selects "Me Minus You" to be featured in their Liner Notes blog!
- *Chosen to play the John Lennon Tour Bus stage at NAMM on Jan. 17th 2010!
- *Picked-up by K&W Publishing for TV/film placement pitching!
- *LALA Film & TV Music Showcase at Molly Malone's!
- *Mountainstage New Song Contest Semi-Finalist!
- First single from upcoming record released: "Me Minus You" [produced & mixed by Gary Tharp (Kina Grannis, The Calling), mastered by Lurssen Mastering [3 time Grammy Award winner].
- *"Me Minus You" now featured on Live365 station WOMEN OF SUBSTANCE.
- Currently recording 7 song mini-album with producer/mixer Gary Tharp (Kina Grannis, The Calling), and musicians Jamie Muhoberac on keys (John Mayer, Avril Lavigne), Matt Laug on drums (Alanis Morissette), and Chris Chaney on bass (Jane's Addiction, Camp Freddy, Sara Bareilles). Set to release summer of 2009.
- *Selected for editorial coverage in up-coming edition of PERFORMER MAGAZINE (WESTCOAST)!
- *Semi-finalist INDEPENDENT MUSIC WORLD SERIES (Western Division)!
- *Selected for ON THAT NOTE college booking!
- *MTV licensing both EP's as well as several acoustic recordings!
- *NOTEBORN MUSIC COMPANY has selected "Cut Me Loose" for licensing and inclusion in their song catalogue!
Jenna Bryson - vocals/acoustic guitar/sometimes keyboard
Debut album "make/believe" produced by Gary Tharp (mixed by Bob Horn, featuring the talents of Craig Stull, Chris Chaney, Matt Laug, Jamie Muhoberac and others):
- Happy (featured at Landmark Theatres, on MP3.com, winner Grand Prize on OurStage.com, featured in upcoming independent feature film)
- Me Minus You (winner Best Pop Song, OurStage.com)
- Clear (featured on CW's "Hellcats" and two independent films)
- You and I (winner Grand Prize, OurStage.com)
- If This Is Goodbye (featured in trailer on SONY TV, UK)
- Magic (featured in upcoming independent film)
- Alternate Ending
- The Death of Me
Song of the Week: "You and I"
[+ Show ]
Los Angeles-based singer-songwriter Jenna Bryson sent me her new single last week and I instantly f...Los Angeles-based singer-songwriter Jenna Bryson sent me her new single last week and I instantly fell in love with it. Her airy vocals sounds familiar and beg reference to fellow Californian Colbie Caillat, but with distinct personality. Her music has been described as, "If Kelly Clarkson and Sarah McLachlan had a baby and then sent it to be raised by Jewel."
Bryson's voice soars over the music beautifully on "You and I" and switches gears midway through the song with edgier percussion and more forceful vocals. It's unexpected and puts her in a category of her own.
Z100 New York afternoon jock digs "Happy".
[+ Show ]
"Holy f*ck! This is really good!" - JJ Kincaid, afternoon DJ at Z100 in New York, upon first hearing..."Holy f*ck! This is really good!" - JJ Kincaid, afternoon DJ at Z100 in New York, upon first hearing the new track, "Happy", by Jenna Bryson.
Liner Notes - Jenna Bryson "Me Minus You"
[+ Show ]
Did you know that "not all break-up songs need be depressing"? That's the philosophy behind LA singe...Did you know that "not all break-up songs need be depressing"? That's the philosophy behind LA singer-songwriter Jenna Bryson's song "Me Minus You." The tune tugged at all the right heartstrings of the OurStage community with fans voting it to the top of the Pop Channel charts last month. Jenna was sweet enough to fill us in on the backstory of the tumultuous relationship that inspired her.
I wrote "Me Minus You" in November of 2007. It was one of the first songs I wrote that was NOT related to or inspired by something personal in my life. Up until then, I had been very dependent upon my own experiences to give me inspiration to write.
And then one day, I was talking to a friend of mine who was trying to rid himself of a toxic relationship and failing horribly; she was no good for him, and he was totally wrong for her. But every time he had convinced himself that it was "really over this time," she’d come-a-knockin' and off they’d go again.
I remembered what it was like to be completely hung up on a person… you're so entangled in each others' lives that you just don't know how to be without one another. So, I wrote a song for him, the lyrics being the words I wished he would say to her once and for all. And to give the words strength and the song a positive spin, I kept the melody up-beat and fun; I figured not all break-up songs need be depressing. I wanted this to be a song about moving on from a relationship with a smile on your face, as opposed to wishing there was a way the sinking ship could be saved. And I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!
"Me Minus You" was produced & mixed by Gary Tharp and featured the talents of some incredible musicians, including Craig Stull on guitars, Jamie Muhoberac on keys, Chris Chaney on bass and Matt Laug on drums.
The Honor Roll: A Few of December's Best and Brightest
[+ Show ]
It's no surprise at all that this track ("Me Minus You") took the Number 1 spot on the Pop charts. I...It's no surprise at all that this track ("Me Minus You") took the Number 1 spot on the Pop charts. It's destined for radio success, with honest vocals and a message so many people can relate to.
Singer/Songwriter Jenna Bryson - Los Angeles based multifaceted artist.
[+ Show ]
Set to rise above the throng of female singer/songwriters is Los Angeles based Jenna Bryson. Jenna a...Set to rise above the throng of female singer/songwriters is Los Angeles based Jenna Bryson. Jenna a multifaceted performer with a voice that is reminiscent of Jewel shares her thoughts on her music, what it is like to be a performer in a city full of performers, the music business and her desires for her art. Jennaâ€™s songs are warm and intimate and talking with her is as easy as talking with your next door neighbor (the neighbor you like of course).
Jenna Bryson: Upbeat and mellow songs with fiery vocals.
[+ Show ]
From: Music Connection Magazine, January 2007 Material: Jenna Bryson's forte is sad love songs, w...From: Music Connection Magazine, January 2007
Material: Jenna Bryson's forte is sad love songs, which she sings with a voice that is fiery, sultry, sweet and sticky, almost like a hot August night. Performing in the style of Melissa Etheridge and Kelly Clarkson, "If I Stay" has hit potential, while "Sacrifice" is an upbeat country/pop song with crossover appeal. For the intellectual set, "One More Thing" offers all the things you wanted to say during a break-up. And, though sad, "Don't Lie" is an inspirational offering.
Musicianship: Bryson's tunes have good dynamics, with simple but efficient arrangements. However, some of her tunes could use additional instrumentation for a fuller sound. Bryson displays a good command of her guitar, especially on "Cut Me Loose," and her vocals are perfectly suited to these sad but, sometimes, sappy songs.
Performance: Celebrating the release of her new fully produced and orchestrated EP, Bryson gave a stripped down performance that spotlighted her expressive voice. The audience could literally feel Bryson's emotions as she brought forth songs of passion, full of memorable musical moments. She covered a multitude of genres that displayed her versatility as an artist and songwriter. Bryson was a master at audience interaction and response, and made the crowd feel they were an important part of her music.
"You and I"
"Cut Me Loose"
"If I Stay" (piano)
"The Death of Me" (new - on piano)
"If This Is Goodbye" (new)
"Me Minus You"
Plus one cover usually:
"I Got A Feelin'" Black Eyed Peas
Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around Comes Around" mash-up with Jewel's "Who Will Save Your Soul" and Dr. Dre's "Forgot About Dre"
"Fake Plastic Trees"
"Such Great Heights"
There are no upcoming dates at this time.