Interview with Zion Judah
1) Tell me about the name Zion Judah?
- Both Zion and Judah have scriptural origins. Zion being a heavenly place, state or mindset; whereas Judah is one of the twelve tribes of Israel, the 4th son of Jacob, and literally means to Give Praise. Rastas also identify with the Tribe of Judah as the lineage of King David from which Ethiopian King Haile Selassie I descends. When combined, the name Zion Judah, to me, means Singer of Heavenly Praises; which can be further extrapolated to mean Seeker and Expresser of Divine Truths, and this interpretation helps to guide me as a conscious artist and human being.
2) How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard of you?
- Vocally I sound like a hybrid of Bob Marley and Maxie Priest from a parallel dimension…Lol. For the most part my music sounds like modern Roots Reggae with some urban elements. But more importantly it's the positive, lyrical content that shines through, and my live performance has to be witnessed in person to be fully appreciated.
3) Is there an overall message/theme that you deliver to your listeners?
- Of course….That life is our special journey through which we can rediscover our true selves and reconnect with the One, Infinite Source of Everything. We already know the answers to all the questions we ask, but to find them we have to meditate, we have to quiet the chattering ego-mind, we must look within and live from the heart. Always seek the truth with love and compassion, and when we raise our vibration the truth will find us. Then we'll realize that we are each the master of our own personal universe, while collectively experiencing one consensus reality. We don't need to be saved. We are not victims, we are simply asleep. All we need to do is WAKE UP! : )
4) What/Who are some of the inspirations for your new song “A World With Love.”
- The life, works and teachings of many have inspired "A World With Love." The main ones are: The Indigenous Peoples and Ancestors of Terra/Earth, Krishna, Buddha, Yehoshua/Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr, Bob Marley, Wayne Dyer, Drunvalo Melchizedek, Deepak Chopra, Seth/Jane Roberts, Abraham/Hicks, The Thrive Movement, and many more.
The motivation to pen the tune also stems from my personal realization that whatever we focus our consciousness on will amplify. Therefore, if we want the world to improve, we need to visualize an improved world. We need to feel in our hearts what it would feel like to live in A World With Love. For GOD is Love, and a wonderful world for all can only be made manifest with True, Unconditional Love - Love for one's self, and for all others, not just family and friends, but for all people, and all forms of life on Mother Earth and beyond.
5) Do you consider yourself spiritual or religious?
- I come from a multi-ethnic, Catholic/Hindu/Muslim/Rasta background, therefore it is impossible for me to be religious…Lol. Nevertheless, you and I are Spirit by default. All that we perceive originates from Spirit. We are individuated units of divine consciousness on our Human leg of a long marathon back to The Source. Spirit is what is really real. Everything else is illusion. So in order for me to keep it real, I have to be Spiritual. Music was a simple and natural starting point for me once I realized that my ability to write and sing meaningful songs was a spiritual gift, and that gifts are meant to be shared, not hidden or hoarded.
6) What is next for Zion Judah?
- An EP or full album release by Fall/Winter 2013. I would also like to publish a children's book that I've been working on; visit Sedona and Machu Picchu to soak up some vortex energy; then write some more songs and books.
7) Which songs should a newbie to Zion Judah check out first?
- A World With Love, Divine Creation, Positive Energy, and Can't Fool You.
8) Lastly, what advice would you offer new artists trying to make it in this industry today?
- If you've got the gift Neo, persist, persist, persist! Because as long as you keep creating, believing and sharing with others, you will become so skilled, experienced and familiar, that it will be impossible for you to remain in obscurity forever… and then you will be right as rain… : )
Please go to WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/HIFIMIND for VIDEOS!
ZION JUDAH & Deep Theta 7: "Zion Judah" (Lead Vocals, Percussion) Deep Theta 7: "I-Green" (Guitar) "Rob" (Keys) "Joel" (Bass) "Rene" (Drums) "Emma" (Back-ups) "Elizabeth" (Back-ups)
"A World With Love" (Single - Mt. Zion Records - 2012)
QUEST: Mundane to Metaphysical (Album - Mt. Zion Records 2011)
Roots & Culture (Single - Mt. Zion Records - 2005)
Divine Creation (Album - Mt. Zion Records - 2004)
A World With Love
You Can Change Your Life
C.Y.O.R. (Create Your Own Reality)
The Great Shift
Roots and Culture
The Quest of Zion Judah
[+ Show ]
NYC’s Zion Judah may call the Big Apple home today, but his roots are in reggae. With his latest rel...NYC’s Zion Judah may call the Big Apple home today, but his roots are in reggae. With his latest release entitled Quest, Zee delivers a modern musical vibe that lies somewhere between the (2) Marleys…that would be Bob and son Damian.
As the urban back beat begins on “Create Your Own Realty” listeners get just a hint of Junior Gong flava. While “Give Thanks For Life” moves magically to the middle where a dancehall-esque (I just love making up words!) motif meets an unmistakable roots melody. My favourite track, however, would be “Higher Consciousness”. A bouncy bass line, pulsating keys, sparkling guitar and smooth vocals that would bring a tear to Tuff Gong’s eye…how can you improve on that? What can I say? When it comes to reggae I’m a purist and this is a solid tune all they way around.
Listening to Zion Judah brings down your stress level and, more importantly, reminds us that there is still plenty of good in the world and that, my friends is what I call a win-win. Much bless…
[+ Show ]
"Divine Creation" by Zion Judah is a top ranking New Roots Reggae album. It goes down well with all ..."Divine Creation" by Zion Judah is a top ranking New Roots Reggae album. It goes down well with all my heartical reggae lovers! The tunes are all produced with Zion Judah's compulsive musical style and his constant stream of conscious lyrics. This is a unique and individual album. Most of the songs are on killer upbeat rhythms that often mix the feels of both roots and dancehall culture. The lyrics are also a mix up style of sung, and chatted flavours. The title track Divine Creation is one of many stunning highlights to the album. The roots pulsation is way out there on the reggae tip. Zion Judah's way dread lyrics are deeply encoded with variphrase technology in this one! Expect Mystic Revelations from this one! The next track, They Tell Me is a roots rockers affair carrying a continual stream of conscious dancehall lyrics. Heavyweight stuff. The song Positive Energy is a look back old school reggae blues dancehall. Dirty dancing yet full of sunshine and light. Few Are Chosen, Chant and Fire Bun take on a dark prophetic reality check. These rhythms are heavy and deep. The lyrics tell it how it is. This is system bashing hardcore roots music. yes IYAH! More roots and ragga culture continues to represent throughout the rest of the album. The are too many fanastic tunes to list individually on this non-stop roots and culure force field of an album. Zion Judah's unique individual vocal and musical style is must for those seeking some heavy weight, space-age reggae music. I love it to bits! dj excavator SENSE-AETHERICA http://www.live365.com/stations/djexcavator
"Divine Creation" Review
[+ Show ]
Zion Judah is an up-and-coming singer based in New York whose debut album Divine Creation is rightfu...Zion Judah is an up-and-coming singer based in New York whose debut album Divine Creation is rightfully causing a bit of a stir along the East Coast. With a background described as "multi-ethnic Caribbean," Zion Judah (real name Angelo Singh) has crafted a tremendous work of art with a genuine roots sound splashed with light dancehall and lovers rock. It's rare to find an album that satisfies from beginning to end, and it's even more rare to find one that also contains several outright classics. Divine Creation does both. "No Peace" has a vintage swaying roots vibe, while the title track is one of the best cuts I've heard all year. Meanwhile, "Positive Energy" is a bouncy lovers tune, and "Few Are Chosen" adds a truly fresh, jazzy twist. Zion Judah further spices up his sound with the dancehall edge of "Chant" and "Fire Bun," plus the thundering "They Tell Me." Even with the current wealth of modern roots releases coming out of the US, Divine Creation stands out. Get it at cdbaby.com.
[+ Show ]
Rating: 4 1/2 stars (Rating scale: 1=lowest, 5=highest) Bahilman listens to hundreds of albums ...Rating: 4 1/2 stars
(Rating scale: 1=lowest, 5=highest)
Bahilman listens to hundreds of albums every year, many of them new releases, and selects two or three dozen of the best annually for review. But even with as many great new roots artists as there are in these days, it is rare for me to hear something that is utterly fresh and unique. But such is the magic one hears on Zion Judah's debut "Divine Creation." This New York-based singer/songwriter/producer (aka Angelo Singh) uses his multiethnic background to bring us roots with an urban edge, what he calls "future roots reggae," and it's not only different, it's incredible! This is an album that will sound good at the club, on the beach, in your car- anywhere! The riddims are catchy yet simplified, mainly drum, bass and keyboards, but the thoughtful and clever lyrics are the star here. "Don't Have Fi Go So" is the perfect marriage of hip-hop and roots, bouncy yet not in your face. "Divine Creation" and "Few Are Chosen" are more subdued and rootsy but still have something to make you move. "Fire Bun, "No Peace" and "Oh Jah" are in the same vein, yet each is a unique aural treat. And "Positive Energy," with it's snappy keyboard and organ hooks, definitely belongs on your iPod at the beach. This isn't your Grandpa's roots, but it's 100% conscious and guaranteed to get you skanking, and you won't have to feel guilty about it either. You can find this via Bahilman's CD store and at www.cdbaby.com.
[+ Show ]
"This is Zion Judah seet, flying low under the radar screen," he sings in the opening of the track, ..."This is Zion Judah seet, flying low under the radar screen," he sings in the opening of the track, Natty-Dread Style. With this breakout CD, "Divine Creation", it will be difficult for him to further chart an anonymous flight. Popular music continually spawns, creating new sounds from hip-hop to grundge rock and techno. Recently there have been top selling acts that borrowed on the forefathers of popular music such as rock and roll and adapted it to the times successfully. Another sound on the cusp of making a comeback, and long overdue in today's climate of war, division and material themes, is Roots Reggae. With lyrics professing social consciousness, respect, self-awareness and even prophecy, Zion Judah, has bonded the classic Reggae beat, yet the grooves sound fresher than ever. What seperates Zion Judah is not only the masterful fusion of updated Reggae hooks, but in the authentic Rastafarian passion he soulfully voices. And this debut CD delivers more hits than a couple of seasons of the Sopranos or a portly rolled fatty. A few of the many standouts include the apropos titled, "Chant", the subtle angst of "Fire Bun", the catchy "No Peace", the excellent "Divine Creation" and hypnotically thoughtful "Few Are Chosen". Look for Zion Judah to lead Roots Reggae back to the mainstream with this Rasta Reggae renaissance! Bless Up! Log on to http://www.zionjudahmusic.com and experience "Future Roots Reggae"!
Skank Productions - www.skankproductions.com
[+ Show ]
Here's the playlist for the latest "Positive Vibrations," broadcast Saturdays from 8-10 p.m. Centra...Here's the playlist for the latest "Positive Vibrations,"
broadcast Saturdays from 8-10 p.m. Central time on
KDHX 88.1 FM in St. Louis, Mo. with Professor Skank
and Michael Kuelker. @ www.skankproductions.com
Dec. 31st with Professor Skank at the controls.
Tonight's show was the "Best of 2005."
Matisyahu/Lord Raise Me Up/Live At Stubb's/JDub
Army/Who Will Pay/Rasta Awake/I Grade
Sinead O'Connor/Prophet Has Arise/Throw Down Your Arms/That's Why There's Chocolate and Vanilla
Third World/Nah Sweat/Black-Gold-Green/Shanachie
Morgan Heritage/Hail Rastafari/Full Circle/VP
Mikey Dread/Voice Of Jah/Dread At The Controls/DATC
Prince Far I/Johnny Get Worse/Silver and Gold/Blood and Fire
Zion Judah/Roots and Culture/cd single/MTZ Music
Batch/Jah Guidance/Jah Guidance/CBP
Jr. Kelly/Rasta Shall Be Deeper/Tough Life/VP
Pressure/No Limitation/The Pressure Is On/Tsuni
Artist Highlights - www.blackechoes.net
[+ Show ]
A new name to us Zion Judah has put together a very strong roots album with 14 tracks of Roots & Cul...A new name to us Zion Judah has put together a very strong roots album with 14 tracks of Roots & Culture. Among are favourites are: “Little More” “Positive Energy”,
“Oh Jah”, “No Peace”. That’s not say the rest of the album is dull, because it isn’t.
Zion is a Rasta singer/songwriter/producer who best describes his own style as
"Future Roots Reggae"
This album is self produced & recorded at his own Future Roots Studio.
Radio RPEM-FM - Spain
[+ Show ]
Wonderful Cd full of really good music. Tracks are very cool, in the best reggae sounds I heard in m...Wonderful Cd full of really good music. Tracks are very cool, in the best reggae sounds I heard in many time. "Island Girl" and "Divine Creation" are my first two favorites and the songs I have added to rotation at our station. Both have great sound, the reggae we know for years yet modern and fresh. I like to hear the melodies and well as the vocals. He's gonna be great.
One Mission Sound - Germany
[+ Show ]
“WOW! What an album! I never expected it to be so BIG but this is definitively one of my personal to...“WOW! What an album! I never expected it to be so BIG but this is definitively one of my personal top 5 cds of the year!! Zion Judah is so versatile... unbelieveable! ... he can do the ruff singjay part as well as the smooth singing and everything sounds so good, much better than some of the big and established reggae artists! The man has a great voice, an innovative style and innovative lyrics and the rhythm tracks really flash me... i can't get enough of this cd! I think this is the perfect cd for testing your speakers at home or in the car! Love It!”
“Thank you a 1000 times for this piece of Gold!”
2 MBS FM - Austrailia
[+ Show ]
The album "Divine Creation" has a very special type of musical delivery which is not often heard . ...The album "Divine Creation" has a very special type of musical delivery which is not often heard . Not only great musical production and delivery but lyrically uplifting mixing visionary lyrics with rasta culture.A very positive message.
Zion Judah’s voice is a stirring and strong on track s and creates a powerful impact along with his lyrics. Really a unique delivery all around.
BABYLON . COM where did he get his idea from..original...great/.Contemporary with a twenty first century biblical twist.
I have included the cd in every show since I have receive it and intend to continue doing so.I also have dubbed over it live to air in my program alerting my audience of his web page adress to contact him and obtain music etc.
I mix his songs in between tracks of Julian Marley,Luciano and similar and the energy is great..
Lately I have been having increasing phone response during my show,all positive,so I thank you for the contribution of his music.
If there is any more feed back you need please do not hesitate to ask.
I love this album as I am sure my listeners would agree and let him know thst he has a growing fan base in Sydney.....
Roots n Culture Radio - Artist Feature
[+ Show ]
Fantastic album. Zion Judah has a strong and passionate voice. You know he feels the lyrics he de... Fantastic album. Zion Judah has a strong and passionate voice. You know he feels the lyrics he delivers. The album opens with a big impact tune, "Oh Jah". The second track, "Little more" works well as a session tune. Strong political lyrics delivered in perfect resonance with the majestic rhythm. Another majestic delivery is track 5 "they tell me" .... pure roots n culture!!!!!! If track 9 "chant" had a steppers beat it would be a very marketable tune here in Europe. On a different tip, there are also lovers tunes, which work well. Zion Judah's has shown here he has versitility which combined with the passion he puts into his work, is a recipe for assured success. Great album, I look forward to hearing more from Zion Judah. Guidance Rootsman Rak
Typical Set includes:
95% original songs
Set length: 45mins - 1hr.
No. of Sets: 1 - 2
There are no upcoming dates at this time.