Since 2005 Donna Kay has garnered a total of 12 nominations in the CAMA, NAMA, WCMA, APCA and the Alberta Film and Television Awards. Her album ’The Journey’ won the 2006 Canadian Aboriginal Music Award for Best Producer/Engineer, and from the same album her hit single “Round, Round, Round” won the Best Music Video at the 2007 Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards. Yet Donna has been making beautiful music long before this.
Donna grew up along the shores of Saskatchewan’s Ministikwan Lake where the sounds of native ghost dance drumming would carry across the water touching all souls in its path. Thus, from a very tender age Donna knew that her future would always circle the rhythmic beat of the dancer’s drum. She embraced her gift of percussion and turned it into her own magic. Today Donna is described as a solid drummer who puts the grove in a pocket and drives the rhythm on through.
Dancing along to the drum’s beat Donna’s voice nurtures, heals, soothes and sometimes tricks and teases you into the warp of her musical fabric’s weave. The result is a rich, warm sound blanket that comforts the soul and reassures the senses, calming the spirit within. Weaving her magic through her external influences of R&B, rock and roll, disco all the way through to country music, she creates a musical fabric that captivates all who hear it. Her music is unique to her and especially pleasing to her audiences – transcending genres, genders and generations.
The inclusion of award winning drum group Little Island Cree on ’The Journey’ marks the start of a new musical incantation for Donna Kay. The Journey’s blending of traditional First Nation’s instruments and songs with modern musical styles created a melodic tapestry that lightens the hearts of all who hear it. At present Donna and Little Island Cree are working on writing and recording songs, exploring the depth of character available to the fusion of their respective soul’s beats, rhythms and vocal styles. This can only mean one thing for Donna Kay’s fans … the best is yet to come!
Born and raised in Ministikwan Lake, Saskatchewan. Currently residing in Okotoks, Alberta, Canada.
Music Style: Blend of traditional native and contemporary.
Workshops: She has instructed workshops on vocal projection and voice care in Winnipeg, Manitoba, at the Prairie Music Awards, the Okotoks Composite High School and the Holy Trinity Academy.
Achievements & Points of Interest:
· Recorded one album, "Out of the Blue," which received national and international airplay.
· Won a Calgary based song-writing contest for the radio station, Lite '96.
· "Alberta Music Project" three songs were recorded.
· Took part in SOCAN advanced songwriter workshop in Edmonton and Vancouver.
· Performance experience in clubs, jamborees, soft seat concerts, festivals and numerous charities.
· Performed and organized the 1st, 2nd and 3rd annual Okotoks charity Christmas Concert (2003-2004), which played to a sold out crowd of one thousand people.
· Musician for Diamond Valley Christmas Concert (1993-2004).
· Composed the music and performed for the Premier's Prayer Breakfast in 1994. Also performed at three additional Mayor's Breakfasts.
· Past faculty member of Rocky Mountain College.
· The song, "The Beat Goes On," ranked #4 on the Hit List of NCI FM radio station in Manitoba in 2005
Experience & Education:
· Performance percussionist, singer and songwriter, Donna Kay Music. Okotoks, AB. 25 years.
· Part time vocal teacher for 30 students, Up-Tempo School of Music. Okotoks, AB. 1997-2004.
· Part time vocal coaching for professional voice users, Private instruction. Okotoks, AB.1997-2004.
· Business partner, Johnson's Resort & Johnson's Outfitters, Ministikwan Lake, SK. 30 years.
· University of Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut. Classical Singers Convention. May 2004.
· Philadelphia Convention Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. International Voice Care Symposium. June 2004.
· University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona. NATS Workshop on Pedagogy. January 2003.
· Banff Arts Center, Banff, Alberta. International Voice Care Symposium. May 1999.
· Voice Study, Calgary, Alberta. Studied voice under the direction of singing voice specialist, Katherine Ardo. 1993-2004.
· Banff Art Centre, Banff, Alberta. International Voice Care Symposium. August 2006.
Drums; Flute; Keyboard; Lead Guitar; Bass Guitar
Out of the Blue; The Christmas Collection; Full Circle; The Journey
Little by Little; The Hunger; and Dreams were Airplayed
A mix of original and cover tunes.
There are no upcoming dates at this time.