Pacific Curls

Pacific Curls

Whakatane, Auckland, NZL
BandWorldFolk

Transcending the seams of Maori and Pasifik culture, Pacific Curls have travelled the world with their impressive array of instruments: taonga puoro (Maori instruments), ukuleles, guitar, cajons, percussion, kalimba, footstomps, fiddle and those gorgeous vocals !

 Share

Biography

This remarkable trio transforms an utterly unexpected, unlikely marriage of disparate music stylesScottish fiddle music and Maori folk traditions bound together with Pasifik Island rhythms and beats sound like the most natural, infectious fusion in the world. The trio started off as part of a five piece project, but years later Rotuman guitarist Kim Halliday, whos studied with King Crimsons Robert Fripp, Scottish fiddler Sarah Beattie, and Maori New Zealander percussionist Ora Barlow have found bottomless depths of inspiration together, endlessly mining one effortless polystylistic gem after another. The members of Pacific Curls demonstrate a deep-seated respect for one anothers heritage, but fearlessly finds ways to combine them, using gorgeous world-folk harmony singing as connective tissue between Pacific polyrhythms and charged Scottish-folk fiddle.

With appearances in a melting pot of festivals including WOMAD UK, WOMAD NZ, WOMAD Earth Station, City of London Festival, Borneo Rainforest World Music Festival, Vancouver Island Music Festival, Winnipeg Music Festival, Ulsan World Music Festival (Sth Korea) and extensive touring throughout Canada, Australia, South Korea, New Caledonia, Shanghai, Europe and Aotearoa (New Zealand) Pacific Curls has been described as a delicate balance of shade, of weight, of propulsion and of introspection (Womad.org). Swinging from familiar Celtic tunes, to more contemporary fusions with island beats and jazz-inflected, multilingual vocals, this is true world music.

Discography

Te Po - 2011-Pacific Curls.
Te Kore - 2010 - Pacific Curls.
Pacifi Celta - 2008 - Pacific Curls.
Pacific Swing - 2007 -  Pacific Curls.
Mothersline - 2006 - Pacific Curls.
Maslins Magic EP - 2006 (Sarah Beattie and Kim Halliday)
Reeling in the Pacific - 2006 -  Planet Woman

Set List

We do two sets of approx 45 mins.  90% of our material is original - the other 10 % is a combination of traditional Scottish Reels and traditional Pasifik / Maori Songs. Our typical repertoire is an eclectic combination of predominately original material: Please refer to our website www.pacificcurls.com to hear some of our flavors. Normal Set list would comprise of these tunes.Islands are sinking, Samba Uke, Fiji Time into Trad Scottish tunes, The Mussell Inn, U Funk Me, Bonfire, Pacific People,Kalimba Trance,Marine Swanson,Poi Porotiti-these tracks are featured on the albums-Pacifi Celta,Te Kore and Te Po.