They jam harder than rock bands and rock harder than jam bands. But most of all, they like to get funky. Dripping with energy and full of good times, Relative Souls is a must see live act from New England. The vibe of Phish meets the funk of Sly; the rock of Zeppelin meets the bump of New Orleans.Share
Relative Souls is a high energy band from Bridgeport, CT. Equal parts funk, jam, and rock music.
- Strance Creek and Wormtown (MA, 2012 and 2013, main stage Friday evening, attendance c. 8000scheduled again for 2014)
- Disc Jam (MA, 2013 attendance c. 1500)
- FreedomFest (ME, 2012 and 2013 headliner, attendance c. 300)
- Rutland Alive at 5 (VT, 2011 headliner, attendance c. 1500)
- Bridgeport Arts Fest (CT, 2013, attendance c. 1000)
- Evolvefest (PA, 2013, attendance c. 300)
- SoNo Arts Fest (2012, MainStage, attendance c. 3000)
- MAZfest (2013, attendance c. 800)
- Utica Music and Arts Fest (2013, direct support for Floodwood featuring guys from Moe, attendance c. 300)
- SteelJam (2011, direct support for Keller Williams who was direct support for Karl Denson, attendance 600+)
- plus a bunch of small startups.
Bands we've played with:
- Direct support for Alan Evans Trio (drummer trio from Soulive, 2012-13)
- Kung Fu (2012 and 2013, attendance 175)
- Twiddle (6 times between 2012/13 ranging from 110-275 in attendance, one sold out appearance)
- The Breakfast (2011, 2012, 2013 attendance between 120-180)
- Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds (2012)
- Shakedown (popular Dead tribute in CT2012/13, attendance c. 400-500)
- Turkuaz (2012 and 2013 attendance c. 150)
- Aqueous (opened for us, attendance 75)
1729 likes on Facebook
634 downloads on archive.org
Relative Souls believes that music brings everyone together. Their music is timeless and eclectic, and while drawing from many classic influences, the approach is modern and fresh. The jamming vibe of Phish, the Dead, and the Allman brothers, the funkiness of Sly, Bill Withers, and P-Funk, the rock of Led Zeppelin, Guns N'Roses, and Pink Floyd, the vocal soulfulness of Joe Cocker and Marvin Gaye, with some of the electro ambient creations of Radiohead and the Disco Biscuits. A gumbo of great musical influences, all played in a fresh, dynamic context. The bottom line is people are either dancing or going nuts.
October 2010 - It's About Time (3 song EP)
March 2011 - Nebulous (13 song LP)
July 2011 - Live in Providence (3 song EP, Live)
November 2012 Live at FTC (12 song LP)
Scheduled full length studio release (12 tracks): March 21, 2014 Theory of Relativity
Relative Souls has over 30 original songs that can very in length depending on how extensive the jam sections are, which we usually tailor to whatever the set requirements are for a gig. We're quite flexible and eclectic, but we can play up to 5-6 hours of music no problem.
We also have many covers in our arsenal. In a typical one hour set, you might see 1 or 2 covers. While we focus on our original material, the band has almost as many covers in its repertoire. During sets featuring our originals we play artists such as the Allman Brothers, Stevie Wonder, the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Phish, Miles Davis, Derek Trucks, Jaco Pastorius, etc. Relative Souls prides themselves on taking classic covers into a modern context.