In its seven-year history, FILTER has become the premiere music lifestyle publication covering on-the-verge bands and cutting edge musicians for the intelligent music lover. The bi-monthly magazine also features avant-grade authors, filmmakers and artists, and has established itself as the editorial voice for independent music enthusiasts.
FILTER is excited to expand its Discovering the Undiscovered concept and take its contests efforts to the next level. Discovering the Undiscovered is a monthly contest to help promote the discovery of good music. Each month FILTER will choose one artist to rally behind. Using FILTER's resources to bring credible attention to the winning artist, the following properties will be leveraged for the duration of one month and the selected artist will receive:
- An option for a digital recording contract with Filter US Recordings
- FILTER's 12 city newsletters (including: LA, NYC, SF, DC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, Austin, Dallas, Portland, Seattle, Denver) will feature the Artist's bio and mp3 as the pick of the week for download.
- The winning artist will be featured across filter-mag.com, including: news items, video (if available), digital downloads, album picks, and reviews, as well as a bio feature within the Discovering the Undiscovered blog. For a rundown of 2008 winners, check here. .
- A special ad will be created for the winning artist and featured in FILTER Magazine or the Good Music Guide
- Click Through banner ads will also be created and present on Filter's online properties to heighten awareness for the FILTER's Band of the Month
- Additional opportunities may include releasing music via Filter US Recordings
Through these efforts FILTER will provide an avenue for awareness for undiscovered bands so fans gain awareness of the artist's music; thus generating a buzz and opening doors for more opportunities within the music industry.
Click here to check out an interview with Samantha Feld from Filter, as she talks about the DTU program, the submissions they receive and what bands are doing right and wrong when they submit.
Past Sampler Contest winners include:
Two Sheds, The GoStation, Bears, Holler! Wild Rose, Repeater, The Jealous Girlfriends, Funky Nashville, Virgo Loves Cancer and Suki Ewers.
Caitlin Gutenberger of Two Sheds had this to say about their experience:
"After our submission was accepted, Filter contacted us personally to say how much they enjoyed our music and expressed interest in signing us to their label. We've since put out an EP through them, played some cool Filter Presents shows and had a chance to play the Filter Party at Cedar St. during SXSW 2008. They've also hooked us up with some great promo opportunities, and they help us with publicity and marketing."
Peter from Backlight Records had this to say, on behalf of Holler, Wild Rose:
"The FILTER feature was an invaluable vote of confidence in the band's music and has absolutely opened doors for others to experience their sound. We're very grateful for the exposure... as we continue to reach out to a larger audience."
The only requirement for selection is that the artist has some sort of body of recordings. Existing press is a plus but not required.
Apply by Apr 25, 2009
The listing does not currently accept applications.