The Dave Carter Memorial Songwriting Contest is an important part of the Sisters Folk Festival. It is a showcase for outstanding but under-recognized performing songwriters. The festival hosts a showcase for outstanding performing songwriters. This year, five finalists will perform and compete for a $750 cash prize, and will open the Festival Main Stage Concert./n/nAn important part of the Sisters Folk Festival, held in September 2012 in Sisters, Oregon, the Dave Carter Memorial Songwriting Contest is a showcase for outstanding but under-recognized performing songwriters. Five finalists will vie for a $750 cash prize as the winner of the Dave Carter Memorial Songwriting Contest.
The winner will perform a short set to open the Saturday night Festival Main Stage Concert, as well as an automatic invitation to the next festival as a paid performer. Finalists will have other performance opportunities at venues around Sisters throughout the weekend festival. Each finalist will also receive two nights' lodging, meal vouchers and two All Events passes for the festival.
Genres accepted include: Americana, Bluegrass, Blues, Country, Folk, Gospel, and Singer/Songwriter.
Songs must be wholly original; submissions will be judged for:
- Originality and uniqueness
- Song structure
- Prosody (fit of words to music)
Performance will be judged on ability to engage the audience, stage presence and "getting the song across." They expect the writer to perform in an acoustic format. While accompaniment is appropriate, set-up time is very limited- Don't bring a band.
Please note: This is a songwriters contest, not a song contest. You may submit up to three songs for one fee. The first song upload and lyric upload is required; however the other two are optional.
Terms and Conditions
1. Contest is open to all except members of the Festival Board of Directors and their families.
2. Songs must be wholly original and all co-writers' names must be provided.
3. Entries must not infringe on any existing copyright or other rights of any third party.
4. By submitting songs, the entrant agrees to indemnify the Sisters Folk Festival, Inc., for any liability for copyright infringement.
5. Submit up to three songs, separate lyric sheets must be provided.
6. Finalists should perform a cappella or with simple acoustic accompaniment. Lyrics should be as clear as possible.
7. Submissions must be received no later than July 31, 2012. Entries received after that date will not be considered.
Apply by Jul 24, 2012
The listing does not currently accept applications.