Deep Fried Pickle Project
"The Deep Fried Pickle Project is a wonderful cross between mountain music and timeless old school fun."- Tor Hyams, LOLLAPALOOZA / KIDZAPALOOZA
"These cats play everything AND the kitchen sink!"- Art Observer
In 2002 a mysterious green iceberg was discovered by a band of unemployed pirates in Lake Michigan . Frozen inside were the Pickle Boys, cold solid in a chunk of sour brine. The DFPP were hoisted aboard, chiseled free and re-animated by the ships crude pirate scientist chef using a combination of spirits and pickle juice. As the DFPP awoke from their icy slumber they started singing and have never stopped. Where the Pickles came from and where they are going remains a mystery
From outhouse to henhouse to waffle house to public house both hither and yon the Pickles have caused a rafter-shaking ruckus wherever they roll, dreaming a hobo's knapsack of stories and songs along the way.
These Pickle fellers have wobbled their magical musical gypsy medicine wagon from one end of this here country to t'other, with stops including LOLLAPALOOZA, WAKARUSA and TELLURIDE along the way.
What fanciful fuel powers this bubbling band of minstrels you say? Why, it is Pickle Power- the power to fabricate mutant musical instruments and sea shanties. The power to shatter a bar full of whisky glasses with sonic ferocity one night, then serenade a giggling group of itty bitty kids the next morning. From the great Depression to the Great Recession, the Pickles run the gamut of old timey styles, even grabbing an occasional 80's pop tune and turning it into a flap happy chicken scratchy 78 RPM tune.
Armed with a Frankenststonian array of homemade monster instruments, their musical recipe is flavored with Jug Band, Hokum and Honkeytonk spices. You'll relish the Pickles! Band members include:
- Daniel Daniel on vocals, jug, washtub bass, swambone, flamingophone, saw, kazoo, Valisa, duck and kitchen sink
- Alan Selvidge on vocals, canjo, cigar box ukulele, suitcase bass, and medicine show guitar
- Charlie King (formerly of Asylum Street Spankers and Stephen Lynch) on vocals, dobro, hamBoLin, jug, slide whistle, song sandwich, pig and banjo
DFPP's bag 'o tricks also includes:
- Eco friendly Instrument building workshops (for more on this, see the bottom of our biography below)
- Musical Kids Parades
- Instrument Petting Zoo
- Trivia Contests with prizes
-"How to Build a Jug Band" Playshops for adults
- Short "Tweener" Sets between Acts
- Festival Pre-Parties
The Pickles have collaborated and jammed with the Del McCoury Band, Umphrey's McGee, Chris Thile, Everyone Orchestra, ALO, Zach Gill (Jack Johnson), the Gourds and many more talented artists. From festivals to fairgrounds, from playshops to workshops, from PBS to the Bravo Network the Deep Fried Pickle Project dares you to TAKE A BITE.
To View a Pickle Video, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7W_FrmCU30
More About Pickle Playshops and Workshops:
The Pickles host Playshops for kids and adults. These are a big hit at festivals and events across the country. These "edutaining" sessions are led by band members with art and music education training. Our make-n'-take workshops usually last half an hour to 45 minutes. More information on workshop choices may be found in "Performance Info", under "Rider".
- Workshop materials supplied by the Deep Fried Pickle Project unless otherwise noted
- Giving children, families and adults an opportunity to create musical instruments together
- Educating participants about basic music theory and terminology while completing the process of building
- A variety of musical instrument choices from simple wind to percussion instruments, with earth-friendly material options
- Instrument choices include Song Sandwich, Kazoo, Singing Straw, Pickle Percussion, and more
- Instruction on how to play each instrument
- An opportunity to "jam" with the band using your homemade instruments (parents love this photo opportunity!)
- An opportunity for a Pickle Parade playing new musical instruments while marching with the band (another photo op!)
For our older participants we offer a very special "How to Build a Jug Band" event. These events include:
- A discussion of the historical significance of Jug Band Music
- An introduction to the instruments of the traditional jug band
- Traditional Jug Band songs played between each instrument intro, featuring each particular instrument
- A demonstration of how to play various instruments, with audience engagement
- Participants can be asked ahead of time to bring any of their own washboards, milk jugs, spoons, kazoos, saws, etc.
- A "Q and A" session with the band
- Optional "Instrument Petting Zoo" at the conclusion of the playshop
Written By: Alan Selvidge
Down by Whitewood Creek
There stands a little shack
Darkness passing by the door
And a flame that burns out back
There are mountains made of rocks
Pebbles and little stones
Ripples on the surface from the ones that I have thrown
The sun you know it rises
while I sink into the ground
I feed the fire with nothing
but those simple things I've found
I watched my woman leave here
with another man
I saw her the other day
with that ring shining on her hand
And on my face it flickered
As it lept upon my clothes
It told me with a whisper
Just why I'm all alone
I just smiled and turned away
with that burning in my chest
I couldn't say a word
Had I failed...
Failed like all the rest
I'm searching everywhere
for that little prize
I'm waiting by the water
for that sparkle in those eyes
And passing over my reflection
You know it blocks out all the light
It slips right through my fingers
and off into the night.
I'm never going back there
said I'll live out on my own
This dream it may be broken
It's made of Gold
It's made of Gold
Originals- Grossest Song Ever, King Pickle, G and B Bot, Four Legged Complication, Restful Haven, Opposite Land, Picklejuice, Rubber Band Band, Gold, Hillbilly Stump, Poor Me Express, Rubber-Legged Jim, Rosie's Pie, Sgt. Safety, Gettin' Cheesay, Your Biggest Fan, Rubber-Legged Jim, Angel in the Airstream, Misguided Lovers' Waltz, LIchtenstein, Queen of the Trailer Court, and many more!
Covers: "Tear it Down" Cincinnati Jug Band, Mississippi Sheiks- Bootlegger's Blues, Singin' in the Bathtub- R. Crumb, Dooley-the Dillards, We're All Gonna Die - Kasey Chambers, Billy Jean- M. Jackson, Fat bottomed Girls/Baby Got Back- Queen/Sir Mix Alot, Flowers in the Dell- Fred Eaglesmith, Stealin'- Memphis Jug Band, Folsom Prison Blues- J. Cash, Pffft You Were Gone- Hee Haw Show, Ball and Chain- Social Distortion, Put a Ring on It- Beyonce and many more...