La Camorra

La Camorra

 Olivos, Buenos Aires, ARG
BandWorldJazz

La Camorra is a contemporary tango quintet with roots in jazz and classical music. Over 15 years they have written their own original compositions and played versions of tango masters such as Astor Piazzolla, Pugliese, Troilo and others.

Biography

La Camorra made their debut in 1993 while chosen to perform at "Cafe Homero" in Buenos Aires on a regular basis. From the very begging, the quintet has developed a repertoire based on its own arrangements of traditional tangos, Astor Piazzolla´s pieces and their own original compositions. In 1999, La Camorra won the second prize at the Chamber Music Competition in Buenos Aires, and from then on moved their music also into classic and jazz circles. After 15 years of trajectory, five albums and a sixth one coming, and many performances on local and world stages, La Camorra is still writing and playing its own contemporary tango, based on the quality of its musicians, their wide knowledge of tango style and the richness of their original compositions.

La camorra has won several awards: First Prize at the Astor Piazzolla Center’s competition for performers of Piazzolla’s Works in 1997, the second prize in the Chamber Music Competition organized by Festivales Musicales in 1999 (they where the only tango group awarded such honor). For their Album “Tango, Ciudad Amada” La Camorra won the Best Off-Jazz Award. In 2003, with their fourth Album “Resurreccion del Angel” the group was nominated to the Clarin Awards (Argentina’s largest media group) and won yet another prize at Festivales Musicales Chamber Music Competition. In 2007 La Camorra was nominated for the Gardel Awards for being the a revelation in the tango sector (this award is given by CAPIF, the local association of phonographic producers).

La Camorra has toured Argentina, Spain, The Netherlands, Belgium, Dominican Republic and Brazil performing in distinguished venues such as Palau de la Musica at the Barcelona Jazz Festival 2002, Centro Cultural de la Villa at the Madrid Jazz Festival 2006, “Tropentheatre” in Amsterdam and Castro Alvez Theatre in Bahia, Brazil amongst others. In the local scene, La camorra has played for the Festival de Tango de Buenos Aires, the Auditorio Belgrano, Teatro General San Martin, ND Ateneo and other prestigious venues around the country.

Discography

1993 - Escolazo
1999 - Abran Cancha
2002 - Tango, ciudad Amada - Lola Records
2003 - Resurrecion del Angel - EPSA Music
2006 - 12 Postales - MC Galileo
2008 - Que le estan haciendo al Tango? - Independent

Set List

Usually sets are between 70 and 80 minutes including encores. Original compositions cover for 70% of the set and the other 30% is versions of famous tango composers such as Piazzolla, Troilo, Bardi and others.