2012 Polaris Prize nominee.
"One of the most underrated songwriters in the world" (radiofreecanuckistan)
- 2012 Polaris Prize nominee for Eliminate the Toxins
- #1 CBC GALAXIE RADIO, most-played high-rotation Canadian folk/roots artist, 2007
- #1 EARSHOT National Campus and Community Radio international folk/roots releases, May/June 2007
- TOP 10, 2007 EXCLAIM magazine international folk/roots releases
- TOP 10, 2007 EARSHOT NCCR international folk/roots releases
- TOP 10, 2007 EDMONTON JOURNAL, international releases, all genres
Mark Davis has been called "one of the most under-rated songwriters in the world." (radiofreecanuckistan) He has appeared on over twenty recordings. In 2011, he released his third solo album, Eliminate the Toxins. Mark’s 2007 release, Mistakes I Meant To Make, was called a “tour de force” (Penguin Eggs, Exclaim), “the roots release of the year" (Eye), and “stunning” (Uncut). His song “By the Time” was called “one of the most beautiful songs of the century” (Le Cri Du Coyote). In 2007, Mark topped the NCCR roots chart and became CBC Galaxie’s most-played Canadian roots artist. Performing at myriad festivals and showcases, Mark has shared stages with the likes of Guy Clark, K’Naan and Alejandro Escovedo.
Sharing the reins with Shuyler Jansen, Mark Davis guided the band Old Reliable through fifteen years and four recordings.
On the strength of his 2007 release, Mark became the most-played Canadian roots artist on the CBC's Galaxie satellite radio, spent several weeks atop the National Campus and Community Radio roots chart, and made the year's top 10 lists of both the NCCR and Exclaim magazine.
In the studio, Mark has collaborated with Joey Burns and John Convertino (Calexico, Giant Sand), Howe Gelb (Giant Sand), Corby Lund, Bob Egan (Blue Rodeo, Wilco, Freakwater), and Romi Mayes. Mark has toured throughout North America and has performed in nearly every major urban centre in Canada. He has performed at myriad music festivals and key industry conferences. In the process he has shared billings or stages with such luminaries as Guy Clark, Alejandro Escovedo, K'naan, Fred Eaglesmith, Kathleen Edwards, The Great Lake Swimmers, Gurf Morlix, The Corb Lund Band, Ray Condo, Giant Sand, The Sadies, Richard Buckner, Patty Griffin, and Pieta Brown, to name a few.
All of Mark's and Old Reliable's recordings are part of the Saved By Radio catalogue.
Mark has contributed music to feature-length and short films as well as a popular television series.
Mark is an arts instructor at The Robin Hood Association, where he has recorded New Day Dawning, a CD of songs he has co-written with several adults with developmental disabilities. He is a recipient of the City of Edmonton Salute to Excellence Committee Performance Award "for receiving significant recognition for furthering artistic practice."
Some of Mark's favourite musicians (and influences) are Townes Van Zandt, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, The Clash, The Rolling Stones, Richard Thompson, Will Oldham, Motorhead, Husker Du, Guided By Voices, Pan American, The Screaming Trees, The Velvet Underground, Billy Joe Shaver, Sonic Youth, Red Red Meat, Giant Sand, Richard Buckner, Kris Kristofferson, The Band, Sebadoh, Big Star, and Lucinda Williams. John Lennon - The Plastic Ono Band, Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska, Pink Floyd - The Final Cut, Giant Sand – Glum.
- Eliminate the Toxins (solo; 2011)
- Mistakes I Meant to Make (solo; 2007, Saved By Radio)
- Don't You Think We Should Be Closer? (solo; 2007, Saved By Radio)
- The Burning Truth (w/ Old Reliable; 2004, Saved By Radio)
- Pulse of Light/Dark Landscape (w/ Old Reliable; 2002)
- The Gradual Moment (w/ Old Reliable; 2000)
- Gone are the Days (w/ Old Reliable; 1999)
- contributions to feature and short film soundtracks and 15 CD compilations
- stay tuned for a heavy-rock-sexy-trance explosion from CONCEALER (www.myspace.com/concealer)
One or two 12- to 15- song sets of all original material, from several albums (occasionally augmented by interesting covers):
Eliminate The Toxins:
- A Good One
- In the Waters
- Throw it Away
- Let the World Know Where You Are
- Go to Ground
- Wounded Wing
- Waste No Tears
- Eliminate the Toxins From the System
- Song Alone
- How Many Angels?
Mistakes I Meant to Make:
- All Because She Once Was Mine
- By the Time
- In the End
- In On Me
- She Floated Away (by Grant Hart)
- So the Wind Don't Blow 'em All Away
- The Strongest I Have Known
- Fool for Her
- Wild, Free, Gone
Don't You Think We Should Be Closer?:
- So The Wind Don't Blow It All Away
- Flowers in My Hand
- Saved by Radio
- Burning Post
- Just As Nowhere
- Come to This
- The Strongest I Have Known
- Eight Years
The Burning Truth:
- Face the Day
- Autumn Leaf
- Out on the Line
- Fool for Her
- Dying 4 Love