Born in the West, settled in the East, Brooklyn singer/guitarist Mia Riddle and her band play "lush, rambling, foot-tapping songs." (- New York Post)
It was supposed to be an exercise in simplicity. A six-person pinky swear, Mia Riddle and her band recorded their new album standing in a circle, live, to two-inch tape, the old-fashioned way. The upstate New York farmhouse studio was drafty as they cooked and worked and slept, a magical late-summer memory now. Exactly one year and one day later they received delivery of Ticonderoga, the intervening year a blurry story of complications, heartache, and, ultimately, redemption.
The album is named for the epic poem by Robert Louis Stevenson. In this poem, a man is given a mysterious clue, and realizes too late that the clue was the foretelling of his own murder. The songs on Ticonderoga, in turn, presage a series of catastrophic events in a relationship, as though the universe decided to turn this wishing well of horrors in to reality. It was prolonged, it was gory, it changed everything.
The dust has settled, a year and a day later, and the record is here, grand in sentiment and sound, and somehow clarified in the time that has passed. It is lush and live, and most importantly, it is all true.
Ticonderoga is the fifth self-release by Mia Riddle. She and her band keep an active performance schedule in New York and Brooklyn, and have toured extensively in the UK and US. Their music has received substantial college and BBC radio airplay throughout the globe.
- Mia's second session for Daytrotter.com to be released this Summer
- 2010 highlights included a headlining show at NYC's famous Bryant Park Summer concert series and a 35-date headlining cross-country tour
- Their most recent music video for "Las Palmas" is the first installment of an epic video trilogy for new album "Ticonderoga"
- Mia's success in college radio has included Top Thirty rotation from radio giants, like KBOO [Portland, OR], KTCU [Fort Worth, TX], WESU [Middletown, CT] & KVMR in Nevada City, CA. In addition, Tumble And Drag commanded massive amounts of airplay at several stations, which culminated in great peaks like, #2 @ SCAD Radio Atlanta, #4 @ WESU [Middletown, CT], #4 @ WUNH [Durham, NC] & #10 @ WVFI [Notre Dame, IN]. Furthermore, Mia received staunch support from many stations, like WMUH [Allentown, PA], WNTE [Mansfield, PA], WOUB [Athens, OH], WESS [E. Stroudsburg, PA] & CIXS [Montreal, QC], all of whom charted Tumble & Drag for three weeks or more.
- Mia's BBC Radio 2 live session with the legendary Bob Harris was chosen as the Radio Pick of the Day by The Guardian, the UK's largest newspaper.
- Their video for "Open Wide" is part of the Spring Mercedes-Benz Mixtape (2.5 million viewers), with Tumble and Drag also chosen as the Album of the Month.
Ticonderoga EP- November 2010
Tumble and Drag - 2009 - BBC, college, and internet radio play worldwide
Tigers - 2007 - college and internet radio worldwide