Hi there! It looks like you're using an outdated browser. For the best experience on our site, please upgrade your browser.
Lowell Folk Festival 2017
Posted by: National Council for the Traditional Arts (NCTA) | When: – | Where: Lowell, Massachusetts, USA
The National Council for Traditional Artists (NCTA) is looking for artists who perform traditional music to play at the Lowell Folk Festival. Selected acts are paid an honorarium.
Celebrating its 31st year, the annual Lowell Folk Festival is a multicultural celebration of traditional music, dance, food, and crafts, presenting the arts of many nations, races, and languages at the same event on an equal footing. Over three days, the free-to-the-public event attracts crowds in excess of 160,000. The festival books up to 25 acts, which are scheduled throughout the weekend on 5 outdoor stages.
The Lowell Folk Festival is produced by the Lowell Festival Foundation & the Lowell National Historical Park in partnership with the National Council for the Traditional Arts (NCTA).
Past Performers Include:
Hassan Hakmoun, Marquise Knox, Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers, Angkor Dance Troupe, Bill Kirchen & Too Much Fun, Fairfield Four, Dervish, Dynasty Carnival Parade, Mythili Prakash Dance Ensemble, Le Vent du Nord, Ledward Kaapana, Savoy Family Band, King Sunny Adé
- Music submitted must adhere to the definition of Folk & Traditional Arts provided by the National Endowment for the Arts (see T&Cs)
- Additional genres accepted are Appalachian, African Diaspora, Cowboy, Eastern European, Novelty/Variety, Storytelling
- Artists applying to this festival need not apply to the National and Richmond Folk Festivals which are also produced by the NCTA
- Set lengths range from 45-90 minutes
- Professional sound and lighting provided
- Sound engineer provided
- Outdoor stages
- Backline provided (including guitar/bass amps, keyboards, drums, percussion)
- Artists provided honorarium negotiated at the time of booking
- Travel, hotel and meals provided
- Artists keep 85% of merchandise sales
Terms And Conditions
The music of all submitting artists must adhere to the following definition of folk & traditional arts provided by the National Endowment for the Arts.
The folk and traditional arts are rooted in and reflective of the cultural life of a community. Community members may share a common ethnic heritage, language, religion, occupation, or geographic region. These vital and constantly reinvigorated artistic traditions are shaped by values and standards of excellence that are passed from generation to generation, most often within family and community, through demonstration, conversation, and practice. Genres of artistic activity include, but are not limited to, music, dance, crafts, and oral expression.
Any submissions outside of these genres will be immediately marked as unqualified. By making this submission you verify that all information is truthful and that you meet the genre and other requirements of this opportunity.
- Compensation Amount: Determined at time of booking